Scared Straight and Other Juvenile Awareness Programs
On August 18, 2003, Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich signed a bill into law that mandated the Chicago Public School system to identify students at risk for committing future crime and set up a program to give them “tours of state prison” to discourage any future criminal conduct (Long and Chase, 2003).
KeywordsCrime Prevention Juvenile Delinquency Juvenile Court State Prison Juvenile Delinquent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blum, Justin, and Yolanda Woodlee. 2001. ‘‘Trying to Give Kids a Good Scare.’’ Washington Post, 3 June, p. C1.Google Scholar
- Chesney-Lind, Meda. 1981. ‘Ike Na Pa’ahao: T he Experience of the Prisoners. A Juvenile Awareness Program. Report No. 258. Manao, Hawaii: Youth Development and Research Center, University of Hawaii at Manoa.Google Scholar
- Finckenauer, James O. 1982. Scared Straight and the Panacea Phenomenon. Englewood Cliffs NJ: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Finckenauer, James O., and Patricia W. Gavin. 1999. Scared Straight: T he Panacea Phenomenon Revisited. Prospect Heights, IL: Waveland Press.Google Scholar
- Greater Egypt Regional Planning and Development Commission. 1979. Menard Correctional Center: Juvenile T ours Impact Study. Carbondale, IL: Author.Google Scholar
- Hall, Allan. 1999. ‘‘Jailhouse Shock Aims to Scare Youths Straight.’’ T he Scotsman, 26 October, p. 12.Google Scholar
- Lipsey, Mark W. 1992. ‘‘Juvenile Delinquency Treatment: A Meta-Analytic Inquiry into the Variability of Effects.’’ In Meta-Analysis for Explanation: A Casebook, edited by Thomas Cook, Harris Cooper, David S. Cordray, Heidi Hartmann, Larry V. Hedges, Richard J. Light, Thomas A. Louis, and Frederick M. Mosteller, 83-127. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.Google Scholar
- Lloyd, Charles. 1995. T o Scare Straight or Educate? T he British Experience of Day V isits to Prison for Young People. Home Office Research Study, No. 149. London: Home Office. Google Scholar
- Long, Ray, and John Chase. 2003. ‘‘Schools to Target ‘bad’ Kids for Prison - But Law to Scare Youths Has Critics.’’ Chicago T ribune, 19 August, p. 1.Google Scholar
- Michigan Department of Corrections. 1967. A Six Month Follow-Up of Juvenile Delinquents V isiting the Ionia Reformatory. Research Report, No. 4. Lansing: MI: Author.Google Scholar
- Muhammed, Lawrence. 1999. ‘‘Kids and Crooks Revisited: Some Were ‘Scared Straight!’.’’ USA T oday 12 April, p. 4D.Google Scholar
- O’Malley, Pat, Gerry Coventry, and Reece Walters. 1993. Victoria’s Day in Prison Program: An Evaluation and Critique. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Criminology 26: 171-183.Google Scholar
- Orchowsky, Stan, and K. Taylor. 1981. T he Insiders Juvenile Crime Prevention Program. Richmond, VA: Virginia Department of Corrections.Google Scholar
- Petrosino, Anthony. 2000. Answering the Why Question in Evaluation: The Causal-Model Approach. Canadian Journal of Program Evaluation 15: 1-24.Google Scholar
- Petrosino, Anthony.1997.‘W hat Works?’ Revisited Again: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Experiments in Rehabilitation, Deterrence and Delinquency Prevention. Unpublished Ph.D. Dissertation. Newark, NJ: Rutgers University.Google Scholar
- Petrosino, Anthony. 1995. The Hunt for Experimental Reports: Document Search and Efforts for A ‘What Works?’ Meta-Analysis. Journal of Crime and Justice 18: 63-80.Google Scholar
- Petrosino, Anthony, Carolyn Turpin-Petrosino, and John Buehler. 2003. Scared Straight and Other Juvenile Awareness Programs for Preventing Juvenile Delinquency: A Systematic Review of the Randomized Experimental Evidence. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 589: 41-62.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Petrosino, Anthony, Carolyn Turpin-Petrosino, and John Buehler. 2002. The Effect of ‘Scared Straight’ and Other ‘Kids Visit Prison’ Programmes on Juvenile Delinquency. Cochrane L ibrary Issue 2 (May). Oxford, UK: Update Software.Google Scholar
- Petrosino, Anthony J., Robert F. Boruch, Catherine Rounding, Steve McDonald, and Iain Chalmers. 2000b. The Campbell Collaboration Social, Psychological, Educational and Criminological Trials Register (C2-SPECTR) to Facilitate the Preparation and Maintenance of Systematic Reviews of Social and Educational Interventions. Evaluation Research in Education 14: 293-307.Google Scholar
- Petrosino Anthony, Carolyn Turpin-Petrosino, and James O. Finckenauer. 2000a. Well-Meaning Programs Can Have Harmful Effects!: Lessons from Experiments in Scared Straight and Other Like Programs. Crime & Delinquency 47: 354-379.Google Scholar
- Scripps, J. 1999. ‘‘Prison Tour Serves As A Wake-Up Call.’’ T he Forum 27 October, p. 1.Google Scholar
- Sherman, Lawrence W., David P. Farrington, Brandon C. Welsh, and Doris Layton MacKenzie, eds. 2002. Evidence-Based Crime Prevention. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Sherman, Lawrence W., Denise C. Gottfredson, Doris Layton MacKenzie, John E. Eck, Peter Reuter, and Shawn D. Bushway. 1997. Preventing Crime: W hat Works, W hat Doesn’t, W hat’s Promising. A Report to the United States Congress. Washington, DC: National Institute of Justice, U.S. Department of Justice.Google Scholar
- Storvall, Elisabet, and Arid Hovland. 1998. Ullersmoprosjecktet: ‘Scared Straight’ I Norge 1992-1996 [The Ullersmo Project: Scared Straight in Norway 1992-1996 ]. Nodisk T rddskrift for Kriminalvidenskab 2: 122-135.Google Scholar
- United Community Action Network. 2001. ‘‘Services: Wisetalk (Scared Straight ).’’ Retrieved April 26, 2001, from www.ucan.av.org/services.htm.
- UPN. 1999. ‘‘Scared Straight! 20 Years Later.’’ Television program hosted by Danny Glover. Retrieved April15,1999, from http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/∼aaron2/upn/upn-specials.html.
- U.S. House Committee on Education and Labor. 1979. Oversight on Scared Straight - Hearings Before the House Subcommittee on Human Resources, 96th Congress, 1st Session, June 4th. Washington, DC: General Printing Office.Google Scholar
- Vreeland, Allan D. 1981. Evaluation of Face-to-Face: A Juvenile Aversion Program. Unpublished Ph.D. Dissertation. Dallas, TX: University of Texas at Dallas.Google Scholar
- Yarborough, James C. 1979. Evaluation of JOLT As A Deterrence Program. Lansing, MI: Michigan Department of Corrections.Google Scholar