A 54-year-old patient, while being managed for nosocomial pneumonia, develops an antibiotic-induced colitis (pseudomembranous colitis). Although Flagyl was given orally, the patient becomes febrile and toxic. He is admitted to the intensive care unit and broadspectrum antibiotics are initiated. Radiographic findings are consistent with a toxic megacolon. The patient continues to deteriorate. Which of the following is the most appropriate treatment option?
Limitation of antifungal therapy
Administration of a prokinetic agent
KeywordsIschemic Colitis Toxic Megacolon Rubber Band Ligation Cecal Volvulus Transverse Colon Cancer
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abcarian H. Acute suppuration of anorectum. Surg Ann 1975; 8:305–333.Google Scholar
- 6.Abcarian H, Eftaiha M. Floating free-standing anus.A complication of massive anorectal infections. Dis Colon Rectum 1983; 21:287–291.Google Scholar
- 13.Prasad ML, Pearl RK, Abcarian H. End-loop colostomy. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1984; 158:1984–1986.Google Scholar
- 16.Brief DK, Brener BJ, Glenkranz Rl. An argument for increased use of subtotal colectomy in the management of carcinoma of the colon. Ann Surg 1983; 49:66–69.Google Scholar
- 19.Thomson WHF, Carter SEC. On table lavage to achieve safe restorative rectal and emergency colonic resection without covering colostomy. 1986; 73:61–64.Google Scholar
- 37.Morrisey KP, Cahan AC. Colonoscopic decompression for nonobstructed colonic dilatation. Curr Concepts Gastroenterol 1989; 13:7–10.Google Scholar
- 40.Abcarian H. Trauma to the colon and rectum In Mazier WP, Levien DH, Luchtefeld MA, Senagore AJ, eds. Surgery of the Colon, Rectum and Anus. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Company, 1995:774–777.Google Scholar
- 41.Ogilvie WH. Abdominal wounds in the western desert. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1944; 78:225–228.Google Scholar
- 47.Abcarian H. Colorectal foreign bodies In Mazier WP, Levien DH, Luchtefeld MA, Senagore AJ, eds. Surgery of the Colon, Rectum and Anus. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Company, 1995:538–540.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007