FastPlace: An Efficient Multilevel Force-Directed Placement Algorithm
Placement is a critical component in the physical synthesis design flow of large-scale integrated circuits and is a major contributor to timing closure results. It is often run multiple times during various stages of the physical synthesis flow. In addition, circuit sizes that need to be handled by placement algorithms are steadily increasing to over tens of millions of modules. Hence, it is necessary to have efficient and scalable placement algorithms that can produce high-quality solutions satisfying a variety of design objectives.
KeywordsOptimal Region Star Model Placement Algorithm Placement Region Global Placement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Barrett et al. Templates for the Solution of Linear Systems: Building Blocks for Itera- tive Methods. SIAM, 2nd edition, 1994Google Scholar
- 2.T. Chan, J. Cong, T. Kong, and J. Shinnerl. Multilevel optimization for large-scale circuit placement. In Proc. IEEE/ACM Int. Conf. Comput.-Aided Design, pages 171-176, 2000Google Scholar
- 3.T. Chan, J. Cong, and K. Sze. Multilevel generalized force-directed method for circuit placement. In Proc. Int. Symp. Phys. Design, pages 185-192, 2005Google Scholar
- 4.T. F. Chan, J. Cong, J. R. Shinnerl, K. Sze, and M. Xie. mPL6: Enhanced multilevel mixed-size placement. In Proc. Int. Symp. Phys. Design, pages 212-214, 2006Google Scholar
- 5.C. C. Chang, J. Cong, and X. Yuan. Multi-level placement for large-scale mixed-size IC designs. In Proc. Asia and South Pacific Design Automat. Conf., pages 325-330, 2003Google Scholar
- 6.J. Cong and M. Xie. A robust detailed placement for mixed-size ic designs. In Proc. Asia and South Pacific Design Automat. Conf., pages 188-194, 2006Google Scholar
- 9.B. Hu and M. Marek-Sadowska. Fine granularity clustering for large scale placement problems. In Proc. Int. Symp. Phys. Design, pages 67-74, 2003Google Scholar
- 10.B. Hu and M. Marek-Sadowska. Multilevel fixed-point-addition-based VLSI placement. IEEE Trans. Comput.-Aided Design, 24(8):1188-1203, August 2005Google Scholar
- 11.A. B. Kahng, S. Reda, and Q. Wang. APlace: A general analytic placement framework. In Proc. Int. Symp. Phys. Design, pages 233-235, 2005Google Scholar
- 12.A. B. Kahng, S. Reda, and Q. Wang. Architecture and details of a high quality, largescale analytical placer. In Proc. IEEE/ACM Int. Conf. on Comput.-Aided Design, pages 890-897, 2005Google Scholar
- 13.A. B. Kahng, P. Tucker, and A. Zelikovsky. Optimization of linear placements for wire- length minimization with free sites. In Proc. Asia and South Pacific Design Automat. Conf., pages 241-244, 1999Google Scholar
- 16.F. Mo, A. Tabbara, and R. Brayton. A force-directed macro-cell placer. In Proc. IEEE/ACM Intl. Conf. on Computer-Aided Design, pages 177-180, 2000Google Scholar
- 18.G.-J. Nam, S. Reda, C. J. Alpert, P. G. Villarrubia, and A. B. Kahng. A fast hierarchical quadratic placement algorithm. IEEE Trans. Comput.-Aided Design, 25(4):678-691, April 2006Google Scholar
- 19.M. Pan, N. Viswanathan, and C. Chu. An efficient and effective detailed placement algorithm. In Proc. IEEE/ACM Intl. Conf. on Comput.-Aided Design, pages 48-55, 2005Google Scholar
- 21.T. Taghavi, X. Yang, B.-K. Choi, M. Wang, and M. Sarrafzadeh. Dragon2005: Largescale mixed-size placement tool. In Proc. Intl. Symp. Phys. Design, pages 245-247, 2005Google Scholar
- 23.N. Viswanathan, M. Pan, and C. Chu. Fastplace 2.0: An efficient analytical placer for mixed-mode designs. In Proc. Asia and South Pacific Design Automat. Conf., pages 195-200, 2006Google Scholar
- 24.N. Viswanathan, M. Pan, and C. Chu. Fastplace 3.0: A fast multilevel quadratic placement algorithm with placement congestion control. In Proc. Asia and South Pacific Design Automat. Conf., pages 135-140, 2007Google Scholar
- 25.N. Viswanathan, M. Pan, and C. Chu. FastPlace: An Analytical Placer for Large-scale VLSI Circuits. url=http://www.public.iastate.edu/̃nataraj/FastPlace.html.
- 26.J. Vygen. Algorithms for large-scale flat placement. In Proc. ACM/IEEE Design Automat. Conf., pages 746-751, 1997Google Scholar