Mixing – Determining Mixing Parameters
Objective and Learning Outcomes
Examine mixing mechanisms and operations.
Review the principles of mixing.
calculate the mixing index.
To calculate the optimum mixing time.
To compare mixers based on their mixing indexes and times.
To calculate energy consumptions of the mixers.
The mixing of solids is a critical unit important operation in many industries in which a relatively uniform mixture is obtained from two or more components. Mixing is the dispersing of components, one throughout the other. It occurs in innumerable instances in the food industry and is probably the most common of all process operations.
KeywordsSample Composition Fractional Composition Magnesium Carbonate Uniform Mixture Screw Conveyor
- Brennan, J.G., Butters, J.R., Cowell, N.D., and Lilley, A.E.V. (1990) Food Engineering Operations Elsevier Appled Science, London & New York.Google Scholar
- Earle, R.L. (1983) Unit Operations in Food Processing, Pergamon Press.Google Scholar
- Holdich, R. (2002). Fundamentals of Particle Technology, Midland Information Technology and Publishing, U.K., pp: 5-6.Google Scholar
Some Web Site of Interest
- The Experimental Nonlinear Physics Group at the Univ. of Toronto describes experiments of unmixing sand and provides illustrations at http://mobydick.physics.utoronto.ca/sand.html.
- Julio Ottino (Dept. of Chem. Engg., Northwestern Univ.) provides links to many of his papers on granular mixing. See http://pg.chem-eng.nwu.edu/mixing/.
- Continuous mixers – for example Littleford Day Inc., see http://www.littleford.com/km.html
- Dispersing solids in gas to aid drying, extraction, etc. – Littleford Day Inc., see http://www.littleford.com/dvt.html
- Cooling and mixing – Littleford Day Inc., see http://www.littleford.com/k.html
- High shear equipment for granular and fibrous materials, etc. – Littleford Day Inc., see http://www.littleford.com/cb.html
- Littleford Day – http://www.littleford.com
- Eastern-Cleveland Mixers – http://www.emimixers.com
- The Hayes & Stolz Industrial Mfg. Co. – http://www.hayes-stolz.com/
- Food Processing Equipment Company – http://www.fpec.com
- Matterson,M.J., Orr, C,: 1987. Filtration principles and Practices (Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York & BaselGoogle Scholar