Single carrier-frequency division multiple access (SC-FDMA) is an OFDMA variant technology that is tailored for uplink transmission. It uses the standard OFDMA transceiver blocks with different ordering. SC-FDMA (aka DFT-precoded/spread OFDMA) is the multiuser version of single carrier modulation with frequency domain equalization (SC/FDE). The main objective of SC-FDMA is to introduce transmission with lower PAPR than OFDMA. Since OFDMA shows envelope fluctuations, and signals with high PAPR requires highly linear power amplifiers to reduce the distortion, the design of mobile terminals are complex and they become power hungry since the linearity in the amplifier can only be handled with a large backoff from their peak power.
KeywordsMobile Station Time Domain Signal Complementary Cumulative Distribution Function Multiuser Diversity Uplink Transmission
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Myung, H. G., Single Carrier Orthogonal Multiple Access Technique for Broadband Wireless Communications, PhD Dissertation, Polytechnic University, NY, January 2007.Google Scholar
- 2.Sorger, U., De Broeck, I., Schnell, M., “Interleaved FDMA – A New Spread-Spectrum Multiple-Access Scheme,” Proceedings of IEEE ICC, pp. 1013–1017, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Goodman, D. J., Lim, J., Myung, H. G., “Single Carrier FDMA (SC-FDMA) for Uplink Wireless Transmission,” IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, 2006.Google Scholar
- 5.Goodman, D. J., Lim, J., Myung, H. G., “Peak-to-average Power Ratio of Single Carrier FDMA Signals with Pulse Shaping,” IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, pp. 1–5, 2006.Google Scholar
- 6.Goodman, D. J., Lim, J., Myung, H. G., Oh, K., “Channel-Dependent Scheduling of Uplink Single Carrier FDMA Systems,” Proceedings of IEEE VTC, 2006.Google Scholar
- 7.Batariere, M. D., Classon, B. K., “Low-Complexity Technique to Increase Capacity of Mobile Broadband Systems,” Proceedings of IEEE VTC, vol. 4, pp. 1939–1943, 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.Cioffi, J. M., Tellado, J., “PAR Reduction in Multicarrier Transmission Systems,” ANSI T1E1.4/97-367, 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.Lopez, P., Monnier, R., Tourtier, P. J., “Multicarrier Modem for Digital HDTV Terrestrial Broadcasting,” Signal Processing: Image Communication, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 379–403, 1998.Google Scholar
- 10.VDSL Alliance, VDSL Alliance SDMT VDSL Draft Standard Proposal, ANSI Contribution T1E1.4/97-332, 1997.Google Scholar