Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass: Controversies
The characterization of the Roux-en-y gastric bypass as the “gold standard” for bariatric surgery has been misleading because there is no standard technique employed by the majority of surgeons (1). The laparoscopic gastric bypass has followed in the footsteps of the open approach and varies widely in construction (2, 3, 4, 5, 6). Controversies exist over the ideal methods to maximize outcomes and minimize complications, which are the goals of every surgical procedure. This chapter explores several of the current controversies about the laparoscopic gastric bypass technique.
KeywordsBariatric Surgery Gastric Bypass Sleeve Gastrectomy Small Bowel Obstruction Staple Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.Bessler MD, Daud A, Olivero-Rivera D, DiGiorgi M. Prospective randomized double blinded trial of banded versus standard gastric bypass in patients with malignant obesity. Presented at the 21st annual meeting of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery, 2004.Google Scholar
- 21.Lee C, Cirangle PT, Feng JJ, Jossart GH. Comparison of BMI matched patients undergoing isolated laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy versus the laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Presented at the 21st annual meeting of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery, 2004.Google Scholar
- 23.Felix E, Brown JE. Preventing small bowel obstruction after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg 2002;12:197.Google Scholar
- 30.Arnold W, Shikora SA. Comparing seam burst pressure: buttressed versus non-buttressed linear cutting staple devices in a porcine model. Obes Surg 2002;12:208.Google Scholar
- 33.Ramanathan R, Ikramuddin S, Gourash W, et al. The value of intra-operative endoscopy during laparoscopic roux-eny gastric bypass. Surg Endosc 2000;14:S212.Google Scholar
- 35.Hawthorne A, Kuhn J, McCarty T. The role of routine upper GI series following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg 2003;13:222–223.Google Scholar
- 36.Singh R, Fisher BL. Sensitivity and specificity of post-op GI series following gastric bypass for morbid obesity. Obes Surg 2002;12:195–196.Google Scholar