Impact of Coupled Nonhydrostatic Atmosphere-Ocean-Land Model with High Resolution
This chapter presents basic formulation of Multi-Scale Simulator for the Geoenvironment (MSSG) which is a coupled non-hydrostatic AGCM-OGCM developed in Earth Simulator Center. MSSG is characterized by Yin-Yang grid system for both of the components, computational schemes with high accuracy in the dynamical core and high computational performance on the Earth Simulator. In particular some preliminary results from 120-h forecast experiments with MSSG are presented.
KeywordsHorizontal Resolution Lateral Boundary Condition Vertical Layer Land Model Ocean Component
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blackadar, A. K., 1979: High resolution models of the planetary boundary layer. Advances in Environmental Science and Engineering, 1, Pfafflin and Ziegler, Eds., Gordon and Breach Publisher Group, Newark, pp. 50-85.Google Scholar
- Davies, H. C., 1976: A lateral boundary formulation for multi-level prediction models, Q. J. R. Met. Soc., 102, 405-418.Google Scholar
- Durran, D., 1991: Numerical methods for wave equations in Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York.Google Scholar
- Gill, A., 1982: Atmosphere-Ocean dynamics, Academic Press, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Kain, J. S., and Fritsch, J. M., 1993: Convective parameterization for mesoscale models: The KainFritsch scheme. The Representation of Cumulus Convection in Numerical Models of the Atmosphre, Meteor. Monogr., 46, Am. Meteorol. Soc., 165-170.Google Scholar
- Komine, K. et al., 2004: Development of a global non-hydrostatic simulation code using Yin-Yang grid system, Proc. The 2004 Workshop on the Solution of Partial Differential Equations on the Sphere, 67-69, http://www.jamstec.go.jp/frcgc/eng/workshop/pde2004/pde2004 2/Poster/54 poster ohdaira.zip.
- Ohdaira, M. et al, 2004: Validation for the Solution of Shallow Water Equations in Spherical Geometry with Overset Grid System in Spherical Geometry. Proc. The 2004 Workshop on the Solution of Partial Differential Equations on the Sphere, http://www.jamstec.go.jp/ frcgc/eng/workshop/pde2004/pde2004 2/Poster/56poster ohdaira.zip.
- Satomura, T. and Akiba, S., 2003: Development of high-precision nonhydrostatic atmospheric model (1): Governing equations, Annu. Disas. Prev. Res. Inst., Kyoto Univ., 46B, 331-336.Google Scholar
- Stuben, K., 1999: A Review of Algebraic Multigrid, GMD Report 96.Google Scholar
- Takahashi, K. et al., 2004a: Proc. 7th International Conference on High Performance Computing and Grid in Asia Pacific Region, 487-495.Google Scholar
- Takahashi, K. et al., 2004b: Non-hydrostatic Atmospheric GCM Development and its computational performance, http://www.ecmwf.int/newsevents/meetings/workshops/2004/high performance computing-11th/presentations.html
- Takahashi, K., et al. 2005: Non-hydrostatic atmospheric GCM development and its computational performance, Use of High Performance computing in meteorology, Walter Zwieflhofer and George Mozdzynski Eds., World Scientific, 50-62.Google Scholar