Copper–Tin Reactions in Bulk Samples
Solder reaction is the wetting of a molten solder on a solid Cu surface. Typically, when a small drop of molten solder touches a large Cu surface, it spreads and forms a cap on the Cu surface. The cap has a stable wetting angle, which is defined usually by Young’s equation for a triple point.
KeywordsSolder Joint Solder Bump Molten Solder Kirkendall Void Wetting Reaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. K. Kim, H. K. Liou, and K. N. Tu, “Morphology of instability of wetting tips of eutectic SnBi, eutectic SnPb, and pure Sn on Cu,” J. Mater. Res., 10, 497–504 (1995).Google Scholar
- C. Y. Liu and K. N. Tu, “Morphology of wetting reactions of SnPb alloys on Cu as a function of alloy composition,” J. Mater. Res., 13, 37–44 (1998).Google Scholar
- F. G. Yost and A. D. Romig, Jr., in “Electronic Packaging Materials Science III,” R. Jaccodine, K. A. Jackson, and R. C. Subdahl (Eds.), Materials Research Society Symp. Proc., 108, Pittsburgh, PA (1988).Google Scholar
- W. J. Boettinger, C. A. Handwerker, and U. R. Kattner, “Reactive wetting and intermetallic formation,” in “The Mechanics of Solder Alloy Wetting and Spreading,” F. G. Yost, F. M. Hosking, and D. R. Frear (Eds.), Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York (1993).Google Scholar
- L. Kaufman and H. Bernstein, “Computer Calculation of Phase Diagram,” Academic Press, New York (1970).Google Scholar
- J.-H. Shim, C.-S. Oh, B.-J. Lee, and D. N. Lee, “Thermodynamic assessment of the Cu-Sn system,” Z. Metallkd., 87, 205–212 (1996).Google Scholar
- A. Bolcavage, C. R. Kao, S. L. Chen, and Y. A. Chang, “Thermodynamic calculation of phase stability between copper and lead-indium solder,” in Proc. Applications of Thermodynamics in the Synthesis and Processing of Materials, Oct. 2–6, 1994, Rosemont, IL, P. Nash and B. Sundman (Eds.), TMS, Warrendale, PA, pp. 171–185 (1995).Google Scholar
- V. C. Marcotte and K. Schroeder, “Cu-Sn-Pb phase diagram,” in Proc. Thirteenth North American Thermal Analysis Society, A. R. McGhie (Ed.), North American Thermal Analysis Society, 1984, pp. 294.Google Scholar
- T. Y. Lee, W. J. Choi, K. N. Tu, J. W. Jang, S. M. Kuo, J. K. Lin, D. R. Frear, K. Zeng, and J. K. Kivilahti, “Morphology, kinetics, and thermodynamics of solid state aging of eutectic SnPb and Pb-free solders (SnAg, SnAgCu, and SnCu) on Cu,” J. Mater. Res., 17, 291–301 (2002).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- C. Wagner, Z. Electrochem., 65, 581 (1961).Google Scholar
- V. V. Slezov, “Theory of Diffusion Decomposition of Solid Solutions,” Harwood Academic Publishers, pp. 99–112 (1995).Google Scholar