Design and implementation of database powered web systems — experiences from the DEMETER project
A novel design and implementation technique for Web-based distributed information systems is introduced. Using a state machine model, a database powered Web application prototype has been successfully implemented. It is a Europe—wide product marketing system for rural areas funded by the European Commission, and is currently in the pilot phase. These experiences have led us to the development of framework tools to close the semantic gap between distributed databases and the Web browser as standard user interface.
KeywordsDatabase powered Web applications information retrieval information systems design and implementation Web application design language.
- Adida, B. (1997b). Taking Web clients to the next level. IEEE Internet Computing, 1 (2), 65–67.Google Scholar
- Stürner, G. (1996). Oracle 7. Die verteilte semantische Datenbank. Release 7.3. dbms publishing, Weissach, 4.Auflage.Google Scholar
- Ullman, J. (1988). Principles of Database and Knowledge—Base Systems, Volume 1. Computer Science Press, Rockville, MD.Google Scholar
- FastCGI (1997). Open Market. http://www.fastcgi.corn
- Microsoft (1997). Internet Server API. http://www.microsoft.com/msdn/sdk/platforms/doc/sdk/internet/src/isapimrg.html
- Sun Microsystems (1997). The Java Language. http://java.sun. com
- Netscape (1997a). Server API. http://www.netscape.com/newsref/std/server_api.html
- ECMA (1997). European association for standardizing. information and communication systems. http://www.ecma.ch/
- Oracle (1997). Web Application Server and Web Request Broker. http://www.oracie.com
- RFCs (1997). Requests for Comment: 822, 977, 1036, 1319, 1345, 1521, 1522, 1630, 1738, 1766, 1808, 1866, 1867 and 2109. ftp://ftp.univie.ac.at/netinfo/rfc
- World Wide Web Consortium (1997). http://www.w3.org