An integrated solution for secure communications over B-ISDN
The Broadband Integrated Services Digital Network (B-ISDN) is expected to be the public communications network of the future. One of the prime factors influencing the development of such a network is the emergence of a large number of teleservices with different requirements (sometimes still unknown). However, a common requirement for all these services is the need to be protected against unauthorised use, which can be achieved through a suitable security system.
Although specific security mechanisms can be developed for each application and service on the network, we consider that an integrated solution providing security services for all types of multimedia applications is more efficient. Therefore, we study the integration of the different security services in the network architecture, comparing different possibilities and proposing an integrated solution where bulk encryption is placed on top of the ATM Adaptation Layer (AAL).
KeywordsB-ISDN ATM network security security services
- CCITT Recommendation 1.121. (1991) Broadband Aspects of ISDN.Google Scholar
- CCITT Recommendation 1.321. (1991) B-ISDN Protocol Reference Model and its Applications.Google Scholar
- Cruselles, E. et al. (1995) Secure Communications in Broadband Networks. Proceedings of the 3rd. International Conference on Telecommunication Systems. Nashville, TE. March 1995. pp. 114–122.Google Scholar
- Gula de la, D. et al. (1994) ASIC_CRIPTO: un Circuito Integrado para el Modulo de Seguridad del PLANBA. Proceedings III Reunion Espanola sobre Criptologia. Barcelona (Spain). December 1994. pp. 14–26. (in Spanish).Google Scholar
- Forné J., et al. (1995) The CRIPTO Project Architecture: A Spanish Experience in Broadband Networks Security. Proceedings of the ICC’95. Seattle, WA. June 1995.Google Scholar
- Martinez del Cerro, F. J., Fernández-Amigo Barranco, J. (1993) “Servicios multimedia: TEMA/PLANBA”. Comunicaciones de Telefonica Ii-D. Vol. 4, N° 2, (in Spanish).Google Scholar
- Recacha, F. et al. (1993) Secure Communications in Extended Ethernet Environments. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. Volume 11. Number 5.Google Scholar