Cryptanalysis of a voting scheme
At Eurocrypt’93 Park, Itoh and Kurusawa presented a voting scheme based on an efficient concrete mix-net. However, Pfitzmann pointed out that the used concrete mix-net is vulnerable to active and passive attacks. Therefore, the anonymity of the votes can’t be guaranteed. Furthermore, Pfitzmann discussed some countermeasures against the attacks and how far they help.
In this paper we point out that independent of the used mix-net the voting scheme suffers from even more weaknesses. More precisely, we show that neither robustness nor fairness can be gained, although the main purpose of this voting scheme was to guarantee fairness.
Keywordscryptology cryptanalysis voting schemes anonymous channels mix-nets
- Benaloh, J.C. and Tuinstra, D. (1994) Receipt-Free Secret-Ballot Elections. Symposium on the Theory of Computing’94, 544–53.Google Scholar
- Chaum, D. (1990) Zero-knowledge undeniable signatures. LNCS 473, Advances in Cryptology: Proc. Eurocrypt ’90, Springer Verlag, 458–64.Google Scholar
- Desmedt, Y. and Fraenkel, Y. (1989) Threshold cryptosystems. LNCS 435, Advances in Cryptology: Proc. Crypto ’89, Springer Verlag, 307–15.Google Scholar
- Fujioka, A., Okamoto, T. and Ohta, K. (1992) A practical secret voting scheme for large scale elections. LNCS 718, Advances in Cryptology: Proc. Auscrypt’92. Springer Verlag, 244–51.Google Scholar
- Horster, P. and Michels, M. (1995) Der Vertrauensaspekt in elektronischen Wahlen. Proc. Trust Center, Vieweg Verlag, 180–9.Google Scholar
- Horster, P., Michels, M. and Petersen, H. (1995) Blind multisignatures and their relevance to electronic voting. Proc. 11th Annual Security Applications Conference, IEEE Press, 149–55.Google Scholar
- Park, C., Itoh, K. and Kurosawa, K. (1993) All/Nothing Election Scheme and Anonymous Channel. LNCS 765, Advances in Cryptology: Proc. Eurocryp1’93, Springer Verlag, 248–59.Google Scholar
- Pfitzmann, B. (1994) Breaking an efficient anonymous channel. LNCS 950, Advances in Cryptology: Proc. Eurocrypt’94, Springer Verlag, 332–40.Google Scholar
- Sako, K. and Kilian, J. (1995) Receipt-Free Mix-Type voting scheme. LNCS 921, Advances in Cryptology: Proc. Eurocrypt’95, Springer Verlag, 393–403.Google Scholar