Principles for validation of abstract test suites specified in concurrent TTCN
Concurrent TTCN defines the tester as a set of parallel test components. Similarly communication protocols described by specification languages are built up from system components running parallel. The combined test system that contains both the tester and the protocol is highly complex. Hence checking the correctness of conformance requirements specified in an abstract test suite is a great challenge.
The tester specification given in TTCN can be translated into SDL on the basis of the comparison of properties of SDL and concurrent TTCN. The combined test system specification can be validated.
The principles reflected in the paper are essentials for automatic validation of an abstract test suite against the SDL system specification.
KeywordsSDL-92 concurrent TTCN abstract test suite reference specification validation
- Arakawa,N. and Soneoka,T. (1992) A Test Case Generation Method for Concurrent Programs. Protocol Test Systems, IV. J.Kroon et al. ed., Elsevier Science Publishers (North-Holland), 95–106.Google Scholar
- CCITT Recommendation Z.100 (1992) CCITT Specification and Description Language (SDL).Google Scholar
- Draft Amendment 1 ISO/IEC-9646–3 (1993) TTCN Extensions.Google Scholar
- Fischer,J. and Schröder,R. (1993) Combined Specification using SDL and ASN.1. SDL’93 Using Objects. Faergemand,O. et al ed, North-Holland, 293–305Google Scholar
- Holzman,G.J. (1991) Design and validation of computer protocols. Prentice Hall, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC-9646 (1992) Conformance Testing Methodology and Framework.Google Scholar
- Itoh,M. and Ichikawa,H. (1983) Protocol Verification Algorithm Using Reduced Reachability Analysis. Transactions of IECE of Japan, Vol. E 66. No 2.Google Scholar
- ITU-T Recommendation Z.105 (1995) Specification and Description Language (SDL) combined with Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1).Google Scholar
- ITU-T Recommendation Z.120 (1993) Message Sequence Chart (MSC).Google Scholar
- Lee,D.Y. and Lee,J.Y. (1991) A Well-Defined Estelle Specification for Automatic Test Generation. IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 40, No. 4.Google Scholar
- prETS 300 414 (1994) MTS Use of SDL in European Telecommunication Standards. Rules for testability and facilitating validation.Google Scholar
- Wuong,R. (1991) LAPB Conformance Testing Using Trace Analysis, 11th International IFIP WG6.1 Symposium on Protocol Specification, Testing, and Verification, Stockholm.Google Scholar