On the introduction of gate typing in E-LOTOS
The definition of the Formal Description Technique Lotos (ISO standard 8807) is currently under revision. This paper proposes a gate typing extension to Lotos in order to improve the current situation where gates are completely typeless. This extension is simple and fully upward compatible. It is shown to increase both the reliability and modularity of formal descriptions. Moreover, gate type-checking can be performed statically and does not require any change in the dynamic semantics of Lotos.
KeywordsSoftware engineering computer languages network protocols formal description techniques specification Lotos E-Lotos.
- [Bri88]Ed Brinksma. On the Design of Extended LOTOS, a Specification Language for Open Distributed Systems. PhD thesis, University of Twente, November 1988.Google Scholar
- [Gar94]Hubert Garavel. On the Introduction of Gate Typing in E-LOTOS. Rapport SPECTRE 94–3, VERIMAG, Grenoble, February 1994. Annex D of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC21/WG1 N1314 Revised Draft on Enhancements to LOTOS and Annex C of ISO/IEC JTCI/SC21/WG1 N1349 Working Draft on Enhancements to LOTOS.Google Scholar
- [IS088]ISO. LOTOS - A Formal Description Technique Based on the Temporal Ordering of Observational Behaviour. International Standard 8807, International Organization for Standardization Information Processing Systems — Open Systems Interconnection, Genève, September 1988.Google Scholar
- [KS90]Harro Kremer and Giuseppe Scollo. Formal description in LOTOS of the OSI transport protocol defined in ISO/IS 8073. University of Twente, The Netherlands, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Man94a]José A. Manas. Typed Gates. Annex C of ISO/IEC JTCI/SC21/WG1 N1349 Working Draft on Enhancements to LOTOS, December 1991.Google Scholar
- [Man94b]José A. Manas. Typed Gates. Contribution MAD7 to the Madrid E-LOTOS meeting, ISO/IEC JTCI/SC21/WGI/N2802, January 1991.Google Scholar
- [Man94c]José A. Manas. Typed Gates. Annex C of ISO/1EC JTC1/SC21/WG1 N1314 Revised Draft on Enhancements to LOTOS, March 1991.Google Scholar
- [Mou94]Laurent Mounier. A LOTOS Specification of a Transit-Node. Rapport SPECTRE 94–8, VERIMAG, Grenoble, March 1994.Google Scholar
- [NN95]Elie Najm and Abdelbarim Nimour. Extending Gate Typing to Mobile LOTOS. ISO/IEC JTC1/SC21/WG1 N1358, February 1995.Google Scholar
- [Que93]Juan Quemada, editor. Initial Draft on Enhancements to LOTOS. ISO/IEC JTCI/SC21/WG1 N8023 Project 1.21 Q1/48.6, November 1993.Google Scholar
- [Que94a]Juan Quemada., editor. Revised Draft on Enhancements to LOTOS. ISO/IEC JTC1/SC21/WG1 N1314 New Work Item Q48.6, March 1991.Google Scholar
- [Que94b]Juan Quema.da., editor. Working Draft on Enhancements to LOTOS. ISO/IEC JTC1/SC21/WG1 N1349 Project 184.108.40.206.3, December 1991.Google Scholar