A support environment for the disclosure of heterogeneous systems documentation
It is difficult to support the reuse of system components satisfactorily. This holds in particular for organisations in which responsibility for systems and system components is distributed over the organisation and in which many different systems documentation techniques are used. For those organisations, it is important to dispose of a support environment for the disclosure of heterogeneous systems documentation, which is characterised by flexibility and distribution. The requirements of such support environments are discussed. Based on these requirements the concepts and functionality of a prototype of such an environment are presented. Finally, it is discussed how different types of systems documentation from various sources can be handled by the prototype.
KeywordsSystems documentation information distribution decentralisation reuse.
- Arnold, S.P. and Stepoway, S.L. (1987) The reuse system: cataloguing and retrieval of reusable software, in Software Reuse: Emerging Technology (ed. W. Tracz ), 129 – 137.Google Scholar
- Biggerstaff, T. and Perlis, A. Software Reusability, ACM Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- Brorsson, M. and Kruzela, I. (1991) Museion-a reuse support system for design of service features, in Proc. of the 10th Annual International Phoenix Conference on Computers and Communications, IEEE Computer Society, Scottsdale, Arizona.Google Scholar
- Burton, B.A., Wienk, R.A., Bailey, S.A., (1987) The reusable software library, IEEE Software, 4 (7).Google Scholar
- Constantopoulos, P. and Pataki, E. (1992) A Browser for Software Reuse, in Proc. of the 4th Int. Conference on Advanced Information Systems CAiSE92 (ed. P. Loucopoulos), Manchester, UK, Lecture Notes in Computer Science no. 593, Springer-Verlag, 304–326.Google Scholar
- Freitag, B. (1994) A hypertext-based tool for large scale software reuse, in Proc. of the 6th Int. Conference on Advanced Information Systems CAibE’94 (ed. G.M. Wijers), Utrecht, The Netherlands, Lecture Notes in Computer Science no. 881, Springer-Verlag, 283–296.Google Scholar
- Garg, P.K. and Scacchi, W. (1990) A hypertext system to manage software life-cycle documents, IEEE Software, 7 (5).Google Scholar
- Helm, R. and Maarek, Y. S. (1990) Integrating information retrieval and domain specific approaches for browsing and retrieval in object-oriented class libraries, OOPSLA 91, 47–61.Google Scholar
- Oosterom, N.E. van, Florijn, G., Hofstede, A. ter, et al. (1993) Gegevensdefinitiebeheer in een gedecentraliseerde organisatie, htformatie 35 (2), 128 – 139 (in Dutch).Google Scholar
- Verhoef, T.F. and van der Weide, Th. P.. (1995) Gerichte onderste+ming voor systeeroontwikkeling met hojnvstenen, Note CSI-N9501, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands (in Dutch).Google Scholar