Shaping Naive and Memory Cd8+ T Cell Responses in Pathogen Infections Through Antigen Presentation
The phenotypic and functional studies carried out during recent years have highlighted the enormous heterogeneity among dendritic cells. These specialized cells possess a variety of features that make them highly efficient agents for the detection of pathogens and induction of immune responses. Unraveling how the phenotypic, molecular, and functional signatures of dendritic cells regulate the decision-making process during an immune response has been the focus of intense research in recent years. The advances in our understanding have implications for the development of vaccine strategies that are targeted to individual subpopulations of dendritic cells.
KeywordsDendritic Cell Dendritic Cell Subset Secondary Lymphoid Tissue Dendritic Cell Population Migratory Dendritic Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.G.T. Belz, C.M. Smith, L. Kleinert, P. Reading, A. Brooks, K. Shortman, F.R. Carbone, Heath WR. Distinct migrating and nonmigrating dendritic cell populations are involved in MHC class I-restricted antigen presentation after lung infection with virus. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101:8670–8675 (2004).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.M. O’Keeffe, H. Hochrein, D. Vremec, I. Caminschi, J.L. Miller, E.M. Anders, L. Wu, M.H. Lahoud, S. Henri, B. Scott, P. Hertzog, L. Tatarczuch, K. Shortman. Mouse plasmacytoid cells: long-lived cells, heterogeneous in surface phenotype and function, that differentiate into CD8+ dendritic cells only after microbial stimulus. J Exp Med 196:1307–1319 (2002).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.M. O’Keeffe, H. Hochrein, D. Vremec, B. Scott, P. Hertzog, L. Tatarczuch and K. Shortman. Dendritic cell precursor populations of mouse blood: identification of the murine homologues of human blood plasmacytoid pre-DC2 and CD11c+ DC1 precursors. Blood 101:1453–1459 (2003).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.L.J. Sigal and K.L. Rock. Bone marrow-derived antigen-presenting cells are required for the generation of cytotoxic T lymphocyte responses to viruses and use transporter associated with antigen presentation (TAP)-dependent and-independent pathways of antigen presentation. J Exp Med 192:1143–1150 (2000).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.S. Jung, D. Unutmaz, P. Wong, G. Sano, K. De los Santos, T. Sparwasser, S. Wu, S. Vuthoori, K. Ko. F. Zavala, E.G. Pamer, D.R. Littman and R.A. Lang. In vivo depletion of CD11c+ dendritic cells abrogates priming of CD8+ T cells by exogenous cell-associated antigens. Immunity 17:211–220 (2002).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.G.T. Belz, G.M. Behrens, C.M. Smith, J.F. Miller, C. Jones, K. Lejon, C.G. Fathman, S.N. Mueller, K. Shortman, F.R. Carbone, and W.R. Heath. The CD8a+ dendritic cell is responsible for inducing peripheral self-tolerance to tissue-associated antigens. J Exp Med 196:1099–1104 (2002).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.S. Hugues, E. Mougneau, W. Ferlin, D. Jeske, P. Hofman, D. Homann, L. Beaudoin, C. Schrike, M. Von Herrath, A. Lehuen, and N. Glaichenhaus. Tolerance to islet antigens and prevention from diabetes induced by limited apoptosis of pancreatic beta cells. Immunity 16:169–181 (2002).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.G.T. Belz, N.S. Wilson, C.M. Smith, A. Mount, F.R. Carbone and W.R. Heath. Bone marrow-derived cells expand memory CD8+ T cells to viral infections of the lung and skin. Eur J Immunol. In press.Google Scholar
- 32.M. Dalod, T.P. Salazar-Mather, L. Malmgaard, C. Lewis, C. Asselin-Paturel, F. Briere, G. Trinchieri and C.A. Biron. Interferon alpha/beta and interleukin 12 responses to viral infections: pathways regulating dendritic cell cytokine expression in vivo. J Exp Med 195:517–528 (2002).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.S.R. Crowe, S.J. Turner, S.C. Miller, A.D. Roberts, R.A. Rappolo, P.C. Doherty, K.H. Ely and D.L. Woodland. Differential antigen presentation regulates the changing patterns of CD8+ T cell immunodominance in primary and secondary influenza virus infections. J Exp Med 198:399–410 (2003).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar