- 668 Downloads
I will treat the behavior of E. coli from the top down, or outside in, beginning with the behavior of cell populations, and then working toward the molecular biology. Imagine an ensemble of self-propelled microscopic particles, moving about in a dilute aqueous medium, robots programmed to respond to external stimuli. How are the robots distributed in space and time?
KeywordsProteus Mirabilis Hexagonal Array Cane Sugar Magnetotactic Bacterium Compact Band
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adler, J. 1973. A method for measuring chemotaxis and use of the method to determine optimum conditions for chemotaxis by Escherichia coli. J. Gen. Microbiol. 74:77–91.Google Scholar
- Adler, J. 1987. How motile bacteria are attracted and repelled by chemicals: an approach to neurobiology. Biol. Chem. Hoppe-Seyler 368: 163–173.Google Scholar
- Adler, J., and B. Templeton. 1967. The effect of environmental conditions on the motility of Escherichia coli. J. Gen. Microbiol. 46:175–184.Google Scholar
- Berg, H. C. 1992. Response of Escherichia coli to novel gradients. In: Sensory Transduction, Proc. 45th Symp. Soc. Gen. Physiol. Rockefeller University Press, New York, pp. 220–223.Google Scholar
- Frankel, R. B., and R. P. Blakemore. 1991. Iron Biomaterials. Plenum, New York.Google Scholar
- Maeda, K., Y. Imae, J.-I. Shioi, and F. Oosawa. 1976. Effect of temperature on motility and chemotaxis of Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 127:1039–1046.Google Scholar
- Rauprich, O., M. Matsushita, C. J. Weijer, F. Siegert, S. E. Esipov, and J. A. Shapiro. 1996. Periodic phenomena in Proteus mirabilis swarm colony development. J. Bacteriol. 178:6525–6538.Google Scholar
- Taylor, B. L., and D. E. Koshland, Jr. 1975. Intrinsic and extrinsic light responses of Salmonella typhimurium and Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 123:557–569.Google Scholar
- Taylor, B. L., J. B. Miller, H. M. Warrick, and D. E. Koshland, Jr. 1979. Electron acceptor taxis and blue light effect on bacterial chemotaxis. J. Bacteriol. 140:567–573.Google Scholar