Introduction of a Public Sector e-Procurement Solution: Lessons Learned from Disappointing Adoption
In this article, we look at the reasons why the introduction of the public sector Internet Marketplace – ehandel.no – has thus far not been a success in the County Municipality of Sør-Trøndelag (STFK), as compared to the original ambitions regarding usage volume for this channel. To look into the situation, we have interviewed users of ehandel.no in STFK, and in other public organizations which are seen as successful (given their usage volume objectives), such as Trondheim municipality. We have used various acceptance theories in order to analyze why the users accept the same system to different degrees. The theories were utilized prior to the interviews in order to formulate interview questions. Afterwards, we used the same theories to analyze the results. The results indicate that good product catalogues, motivated users, compulsory use of the system when possible, and renegotiation of contracts with the suppliers are some of the most important pre-requisites in order to achieve success using ehandel.no.
KeywordsE-Business and E-Government Information Systems transfer and diffusion of information technology
- Ajzen, I. og Fishbein, M. (1980) Understanding attitudes and predicting social behaviour. Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- County Municipality of Sør-Trøndelag (2005). Statusrapport (Status report) [Intern rapport utlånt av innkjøpstjenesten i Sør-Trøndelag Fylkeskommune] (Internal report loaned by the procurement service of the County Municipality of Sør-Trøndelag).Google Scholar
- County Municipality of Sør-Trøndelag (2006). ESTER, e-handel i Sør-trøndelag fylkeskommune. status på innkjøp i fylkeskommunen. (ESTER: E-commerce in Sør-Trøndelag County Municipality. Status of purchases in the County Municipality). [Intern rapport utlånt av innkjøpstjenesten i Sør-Trøndelag Fylkeskommune]. (Internal report loaned by the procurement service of the County Municipality of Sør-Trøndelag).Google Scholar
- Davis, C. (2003) Technologies and methodologies for evaluating information technology in business. IRM Press, 2003.Google Scholar
- Davis, F. (1989) Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of information technology. MIS Quarterly, 13(3).Google Scholar
- Davis, F., Bagozzi, R. P. og Warshaw, P. R. User acceptance of information technology: A comparison of two theoretical models. Management Science, 35(8), 1989.Google Scholar
- E-Commerce Secretariat (2001). ”Elektronisk markedsplass for det offentlige: Sluttbrukerapplikasjon”, (Electronic marketplace for the public sector: End-user application) http://www.ehandel.no/data/file/krav_sluttbrukerapplikasjon.pdf. Last visited 10.10.2007.
- E-Commerce Secretariate (2002). ”Veileder for forprosjekt - elektronisk markedsplass for det offentlige”, (Guide to preliminary work - electronic Marketplace for the public sector) http://www.ehandel.no/data/file/file_110.pdf. Last visited 10.10.2007.
- Heeks, R. (1999) Reinventing government in the information age. Routledge.Google Scholar
- Kioses, E., Pramatari, K. og Doukidis, G. (2006) Factors affecting perceived impact of electronic marketplaces. Proceedings 19th Bled Electronic Commerce Conference, June 4-6, Bled, Slovenia.Google Scholar
- Lipis, L. J., Byron, D., Villars, R. og Turner, V. (2000). “Putting markets into place: An emarketplace definition and forecast”, http://www.e-consultancy.com/knowledge/whitepapers/75/putting-markets-into-place-an-emarketplace-definition-and-forecast.html . Last visited 10.10.2007
- Rogers, Y., Preece, J. and Sharp, H. (2002) Interaction Design. John Wiley.Google Scholar
- Trondheim Municipality (2006) E-handel I Trondheim kommune Sluttrapport innføringsprosjekt. (E-commerce in Trondheim Municipality: Final report on introduction project) http://www.ehandel.no/data/file/file_308.pdf, Last visited 10.10.2007.
- Venkatesh, V., Morris, M., Davis, G. og Davis, F. (2003) User acceptance of information technology: Toward a unified view. MIS Quarterly, 27(3). J. KrogstieGoogle Scholar