An RFID Adoption Framework: A Container Supply Chain Analysis
While the benefits of RFID (radio frequency identification) in supply chains have had extensive press, publicised cases showing poor returns on investment and a relative lack of research into its adoption has left organisations feeling uncertain about the challenges to be managed when assessing RFID adoption. This qualitative study in the South African port community refines and extends an RFID adoption framework and provides insight into the factors potentially affecting the adoption of this new technology as well as the probability of adoption in that community. Four new factors not previously mentioned in research were identified: related initiatives; the integrated structure of the industry; organisational dominance with the supply chain and the supply chain culture. An argument for their validity within the RFID adoption framework is presented. The research reveals that cost, the absence of a universally-adopted standard and the supply chain culture are currently the major setbacks to RFID adoption in the South African port community.
KeywordsRFID Container Supply Chain technology adoption
- Asif, Z., Mandviwalla, M. (2005). Integrating the Supply chain with RFID: A technical and business analysis, Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 15, 393-427.Google Scholar
- Hartman, L. R. (2004). Walmart’s on schedule with RFID revolution. Retrieved from http://www.packagingdigest.com/articles/200407/36.php.
- Jansen, A. (2005). Assessing E-government progress- why and what, Proceedings of NOKOBIT 2005. Retrieved from http://www.afin.uio.no/forskning/notater/7_05.pdf. Accessed 3 March 2008.
- Nikam, M., Satpute, S. (2006). RFID: Changing the face of supply chain management, (Working Paper, Welingkar Institute of Management and Development Research). Retrieved from http://www.indiainfoline.com/content/bschool/Your_Journal/2006/05/30052006/Chan.pdf. Accessed 12 June 2007.
- Ramos, M. (2006). Group Chief Executive's review. Retrieved from http://www.transnet.co.za/AR_2006/cor_groupCE.html. Accessed 16 July 2007.
- Ranganathan, C., Jha, S. (2005). Adoption of RFID Technology: An exploratory examination from supplier’s perspective, Proceedings of the Eleventh Americas Conference on Information Systems, August, Omaha. Retrieved from http://aisel.isworld.org/proceedings/amcis/2005/. Accessed 11 June 2007.
- The Ryzex Group. (2005). Guide to Understanding and Evaluating RFID: An Application White Paper. Retrieved from http://www.rfidjournal.com/ whitepapers/1/2. Accessed 3 April 2006.
- Seymour, L., Lambert-Porter, E., Willuweit, L. (2007). RFID Adoption into the Container Supply Chain: Proposing a framework. Proceedings of the ISOneWorld Conference, April 2007, Las Vegas. ISBN: 0-9772107-6-6. Retrieved from http://www.information-quarterly.org/ISOWProc/2007ISOWCD/PDFs/55.pdf.
- Smith, A.D. (2005). Exploring radio frequency identification technology and its impact on business systems, Information Management and Computer Security, 13 (1), 16-28.Google Scholar