Remote Operations of an Accelerator Using the Grid
GRIDCC  is a 3-year project funded by the European Commission. Its goal is integrating instruments and sensors with Grid computing and storage resources. Its middleware is being designed bearing in mind use cases from a very diverse set of applications and, as a result, the GRIDCC architecture provides access to the instruments in as generic a way as possible. GRIDCC is also developing an adaptable user interface and a mechanism for executing complex workflows in order to increase both the usability and the usefulness of the system. The new middleware is incorporated into a few significant applications that will allow software validation in terms of functionality and quality of service. The pilot application this chapter focuses on is applying GRIDCC to support remote operations of the ELETTRA synchrotron radiation facility. We describe the results of implementing complex GRIDCC workflows involved in both routine operations and troubleshooting scenarios. In particular, the implementation of an orbit correction feedback shows the level of integration of instruments and traditional Grid resources that can be reached using the GRIDCC middleware.
KeywordsStorage Ring Storage Element Grid Technology Execution Service Remote Operation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BPEL4WS. tp://www6.software.ibm.com/software/developer/library/ws-bpel.pd.Google Scholar
- CREAM. http://grid.pd.infn.it/cream/.
- ELETTRA Sincrotrone Trieste. ttp://www.elettra.trieste.it/.Google Scholar
- Enabling Grids for E-sciencE. http://public.eu-egee.org/.
- E. Frizziero, M. Gulmini, F. Lelli, G. Maron, A. Oh, S. Orlando, A. Petrucci, S. Squizzato, S. Traldi. “Instrument Element: A New Grid Component that Enables the Control of Remote Instrumentation”. http://www.gridcc.org/getfile.php?id=1496.Google Scholar
- GLite: Lightweight Middleware for Grid Computing. http://glite.web.cern.ch/glite/.
- GRIDCC Grid Enabled Remote Instrumentation with Distributed Control and Computation. http://www.gridcc.org/.
- NEESgrid project. http://it.nees.org/.
- Platform LSF. http://www.platform.com/products/LSF.Google Scholar
- R. Pugliese, F. Asnicar, L. Del Cano, L. Chittaro, R. Ranon, L. De Marco, A. Senerchia “Collaborative Environment for the Grid – Multipurpose Collaborative Environment”. Distributed Cooperative Laboratories. Springer 2006.Google Scholar
- Skype communication tool. http://www.skype.com.Google Scholar
- Tango Control System. http://www.tango-controls.org/.
- The Condor Project. http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/.Google Scholar
- The Globus Alliance. http://www.globus.org/.
- The GRIDCC Architecture Document. http://www.gridcc.org/getfile.php?id=1382Google Scholar
- VRVS Virtual Room Videoconferencing System. http://www.platform.com/products/LSF.
- WMProxy. http://egee-jra1-wm.mi.infn.it/egee-jra1-wm/wms.shtml.Google Scholar