The Common Instrument Middleware Architecture
It is clear from the number of e-science projects involving remote access to instruments that remote access and facility sharing is an emerging area of concern. In this chapter we discuss the Common Instrument Middleware Architecture (CIMA) project funded by the US National Science Foundation (NSF) through the NSF Middleware Initiative. CIMA aims at providing a middleware set to facilitate remoting instruments and sensors as community resources and building collaborations around shared facilities. We provide an overview of CIMA, discuss its relationship to some other instrument remote access projects, examine our experiences in developing and applying the architecture and look forward to future development directions for CIMA and its applications.
KeywordsGrid Computing Transmission Control Protocol Remote Access Soap Message Storage Resource Broker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aloisio, G., D. Conte, C. Elefante, I. Epicoco, G.P. Marra, G. Mastrantonio, G. Quarta (2006) “SensorML for Grid Sensor Networks”. Proceedings of the 2006 International Conference on Grid Computing and Applications, GCA 2006, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, June 26–29, pp. 147–152. CSREA Press.Google Scholar
- Atkinson, I.M., D. du Boulay, C. Chee, K. Chiu, T. King, D.F. McMullen, R. Quilici, N.G.D. Sim, P. Turner, M. Wyatt (2006) “CIMA Based Remote Instrument and Data Access: An Extension into the Australian e-Science Environment”. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on e-Science and Grid Computing (e-Science 2006)Amsterdam, The Netherlands, December.Google Scholar
- Atkinson, I., D. du Boulay, C. Chee, K. Chiu, P. Coddington, A. Gerson, T. King, D.McMullen, R. Quilici, P. Turner, A. Wendelborn, M. Wyatt, D. Zhang (2007) “Developing CIMA Based Remote Access for Collaborative e-Research”. 5th Australasian Symposium on Grid Computing and e-Research (AusGrid 2007), Ballarat, January.Google Scholar
- BRTT (2007) Boulder Real-time Technologies, Inc., http://www.brtt.com (accessed 1/15/07).
- Chaize, J.-M., A. Götz, W.-D. Klotz, J. Meyer, M. Perez, E. Taurel (2000) “TANGO – An Object Oriented Control System Based on CORBA”. Proceedings of the International Conference on Accelerator and Large Experimental Physics Control Systems (ICALEPS’99), Trieste.Google Scholar
- Chiu, K. (2004) “XBS: A Streaming Binary Serializer for High Performance Computing”. Proceedings of the High Performance Computing Symposium 2004, Society for Computer Simulation International.Google Scholar
- Chiu, K., W. Liu (2004) “A Compiler-Based Approach to Schema-Specific XML Parsing”. First International Workshop on High Performance XML Processing, WWW 2004, New York, NY, May 17–22.Google Scholar
- Devadithya, T., K. Chiu, K. Huffman, D.F. McMullen (2005) “The Common Instrument Middleware Architecture: Overview of Goals and Implementation”. Proceedings of the First IEEE International Conference on e-Science and Grid Computing (e-Science 2005), Melbourne, Australia, December 5–8.Google Scholar
- Google (2007) “Google Desktop – Getting Started,” http://www.desktop.google.com/mac/gettingstarted.html.
- GRIMOIRE Grid RegIstry with Metadata Oriented Interface: Robustness, Efficiency, Security (2004) http://twiki.grimoires.org/bin/view/Grimoires/ (accessed 1/15/07).
- GTCP (2007) https://www.globus.org/toolkit/docs/development/4.1.0/execution/gtcp/gtcp-release-notes.html (accessed 1/15/07).
- Huffman, J., D.F. McMullen, K. Huffman (2006) “Remote Monitoring and Access to Instruments and Data. The CIMA Crystallography Portal”. Proceedings of the 2006 Annual Meeting of the American Crystallographic Association, Honolulu, Hawaii, July 22–27.Google Scholar
- IBM (2005) “Which Style of WSDL Should I Use?,” http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-whichwsdl/.
- iLab (2001) http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/projects/icampus/projects/ilab.html (accessed 1/15/07).
- Java Community Process, Sun Microsystems (2004) “JSR 000168 Portlet Specification – Final Release,” http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr168/index.html (accessed 1/15/07).
- McGuinness, D., F. Harmelen (2004) Owl Web Ontology Language Overview, W3C Recommendation. World-Wide Web Consortium, http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-features/.
- McMullen, D.F., I.M. Atkinson, K. Chiu, P. Turner, K. Huffman, R. Quilici, M. Wyatt (2006) “Toward Standards for Integration of Instruments into Grid Computing Environments”. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on e-Science and Grid Computing (e-Science 2006), Amsterdam, The Netherlands, December.Google Scholar
- McMullen, D.F., T. Devadithya, K. Chiu (2005) “Integrating Instruments and Sensors into the Grid with CIMA Web Services”. Proceedings of the Third APAC Conference on Advanced Computing, Grid Applications and e-Research (APAC05), Gold Coast,Australia, September 25–30.Google Scholar
- McMullen, D.F., K. Huffman (2005) “Connecting Users to Instruments and Sensors: Portals as Multi-user GUIs for Instrument and Sensor Facilities”. Proceedings of GCE 2005: Workshop on Grid Computing Portals held with SC05, Seattle, WA, November 18.Google Scholar
- McMullen, D., T. Reichherzer (2006) “Identity and Functionality in the Common Instrument Middleware Architecture”. Appl. Ontol., 3.Google Scholar
- Microsoft (2000) “Universal Plug and Play Device Architecture,” Microsoft Corporation, http://www.upnp.org/download/UPnPDA10_20000613.htm.
- Microsoft (2000) “Understanding Universal Plug and Play: A White Paper,” Microsoft Corporation, http://www.upnp.org/download/UPNP_UnderstandingUPNP.doc.
- NetVibes (2007) http://www.netvibes.com/.Google Scholar
- NIST IEEE-P1451 Draft Standards Home Page (2005) http://ieee1451.nist.gov (accessed 1/15/07)./
- Richardson, L., S. Ruby (2007) RESTful Web Services, O’Reilly Media, Inc., May 8. ISBN-10:0596529260.Google Scholar
- RSS (2007) “RSS Specifications and RSS Feeds,” http://www.rss-specifications.com/.Google Scholar
- SensorML (2005) http://vast.nsstc.uah.edu/SensorML/ (accessed 1/15/07).
- Sirin, E., B. Parsia, B. Cuenca Grau, A. Kalyanpur, Y. Katz (2007) “Pellet: A Practical OWL-DL Reasoner”. J. Web Semantics, 5(2).Google Scholar
- Sirin, E., B. Parsia (2007) “SPARQL-DL: SPARQL Query for OWL-DL,” 3rd OWL Experiences and Directions Workshop (OWLED-2007).Google Scholar
- SOAP Simple Object Access Protocol (2004) http://nfdump.sourceforge.net/.Google Scholar
- Vernon, F. (2002) “Overview of the Usarray Real-Time Systems”. EOS Trans. AGU, 81, S318.Google Scholar
- Yahoo (2007) “Yahoo Widgets,” http://widgets.yahoo.com/.
- Yahoo (2007) “Pipes: Rewire the Web,” http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/..
- Yin, H., S. Brenes-Barahona, D.F. McMullen, M. Pierce, K. Huffman, G. Fox (2006) “A PERMIS-Based Authorization Solution Between Portlets and Back-End Web Services”. Proceedings of GCE 2006: Workshop on Grid Computing Portals held in conjunction with SC06, Tampa, FL, November 12.Google Scholar
- Yin, H., D.F. McMullen, M.A. Nacar, M. Pierce, K. Huffman, G. Fox, Y. Ma (2006) “Providing Portlet-Based Client Access to CIMA Enabled Crystallographic Instruments, Sensors, and Data”. Proceedings of the 7th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Grid Computing (Grid2006), Barcelona, September 28–29.Google Scholar
- Zhang, D., P. Coddington, A. Wendelborn (2006) “Data Transfer Performance Issues for a Web Services Interface to Synchrotron Experiments”. Proceedings of the 2007 Workshop on Service-Oriented Computing Performance: Aspects, Issues, and Approaches,Monterey, California, USA, pp. 59–66.Google Scholar