The feasibility of a general-purpose parallel computer using WSI
Cobweb is a design for a wafer-scale computer intended to execute general-purpose programs written in a high-level, functional programming language. The results of a study of the feasibility of the hardware aspects of the architecture are presented. We factor the design into a communications network and a set of identical processing elements. The design, simulated performance and predicted yield of the communications network are reviewed, and this is used to constrain the processing element's characteristics by means of a simple performance model.
KeywordsMemory Access Processing Element Local Memory Output Register Communication Element
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AHK*87]P. Anderson, C.L. Hankin, P.H.J. Kelly, P.E. Osmon, and M.J. Shute. Cobweb-2: structured specification of a wafer-scale supercomputer. In PARLE, Parallel Architectures and Languages Europe, pages 51–67, Springer Verlag, 1987. LNCS 258.Google Scholar
- [AO88]Paul Anderson and Peter Osmon. A Fault Tolerant Communications Architecture for Wafer Scale Integration. In Proceedings of the Alvey Technical Conference, pages 504–507, 1988. City University TCU/CS/1988/13.Google Scholar
- [AO89]Paul Anderson and Peter Osmon. Improvements in or relating to data handling arrays. British Patent Applications 88.02447 and 88.22785, February 1989. City University TCU/CS/1989/4.Google Scholar
- [BHK89]David Bolton, Chris Hankin, and Paul Kelly. Parallel object-oriented descriptions of graph reduction machines. In PARLE 89, Springer Verlag, 1989.Google Scholar
- [BvEG*87]H.P. Barendregt, M.C.J.D. van Eekelen, J.R.W. Glauert, J.R. Kennaway, and M.R. Sleep. Towards a language based on graph rewriting. In PARLE, Parallel Architectures and Languages Europe, pages 159–175, Springer Verlag, June 1987. LNCS 259.Google Scholar
- [BW88]R. Bird and P. Wadler. Introduction to Functional Programming. Prentice Hall, 1988.Google Scholar
- [GE84]J.W. Greene and A. El Gamal. Configuration of VLSI arrays in the presence of defects. Journal of the ACM, 31(31), October 1984.Google Scholar
- [Jon87]S.L. Peyton Jones. The Implementation of Functional Programming Languages. Prentice-Hall, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Kel89]Paul H.J. Kelly. Functional Programming for Loosely-coupled Multiprocessors. Pitman/MIT Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- [KS86]Paul H.J. Kelly and Malcolm J. Shute. Cobweb 2: reconfiguration and routing algorithms for a computer architecture implemented in WSI. In Colloquium on Fault Tolerant ICs/Wafer Scale Integration, Digest no. 1986/23, February 1986.Google Scholar
- [THL*86]G.S. Taylor, P.N. Hilfinger, J.R. Larus, D.A. Patterson, and B.G. Zorn. Evaluation of the SPUR Lisp architecture. In Proceedings of the 13th Annual Symposium on Computer Architecture, June 1986.Google Scholar
- [Who89]Darren Whobrey. A communications chip for multiprocessors. In CONPAR '88, Cambridge University Press, 1989.Google Scholar