Non-empirical atomic potentials for ground state calculations of polymers
Our preliminary test calculations show the ability of a very simple effective Hamiltonian to produce ab-initio quality results for calculations on polyethylene T. Similar simple models could be determined for other polymers. The most important point is that the general methodology presented in this paper is able to provide many possibilities for constructing other one and two-electron effective Hamiltonians for accurate band structure calculations of polymers. In contrast with the semi-empirical methods, these methods will have a well defined theoretical status and their range of applicability will be clearly recognized. The simple model presented in this paper can be considered as the prototype of these methods.
KeywordsEffective Potential Band Structure Calculation Atomic Potential Ground State Calculation Preliminary Test Calculation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.M. Andre and J. Delhalle, LCAO methods for band structure calculations of polymers, in “Quantum Theory of Polymers”, J.M. Andre et al. Eds., D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, Holland (1978)Google Scholar
- K.F. Freed, Theoretical basis for semi-empirical theories, in “Semi-empirical methods of electronic structure calculation, Part A: Techniques, G.A. Segal, Ed., Plenum Press, New-York (1977)Google Scholar
- [2a]V. Kvasnicka, Application of diagrammatic quasidegenerate RSPT in quantum molecular physics, in “Advances in Chemical Physics”, vol. 36, I. Prigogine and S.A. Rice, Eds., J. Wiley, New-York (1971), p. 391Google Scholar
- J.E. Eilers and D.R. Whitman, J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 95, 2067 (1973)Google Scholar
- Ph. Degand, G. Leroy and D. Peeters, Theoret. Chim. Acta (Berl.), 30,243 (1973)Google Scholar
- J. Delhalle, J.M. Andre, S. Delhalle, C. Pivont-Malherbe, F. Clarisse, G.Leroy and D. Peeters, Theoret. Chim. Acta (Berl.), 43, 215 (1977)Google Scholar
- G. Nicolas and Ph. Durand, The fourth seminar on computational methods in quantum chemistry, Lund, Sweden, September 1978Google Scholar
- G. Nicolas and Ph. Durand, J. Chem. Phys., 70, 2020 (1979)Google Scholar
- G. Nicolas and Ph. Durand, unpublished resultsGoogle Scholar
- R.M. Pitzer, J. Chem. Phys., 46, 4871 (1967)Google Scholar
- J. Delhalle and S. Delhalle, Internat. J. Quantum Chem., 11, 349 (1977)Google Scholar