Along the strait in thirty six days
Chang (1976) found that up to 46% of the horizontal kinetic energy in the Strait of Georgia (GS), British Columbia, is contained in current oscillations possessing periods exceeding 4 days. In an attempt to explain these observations we present here a class of low-frequency oscillations in a model channel of GS. The Strait is modelled by an infinitely long, rectangular channel with a bottom that slopes upwards to the east; the stratification is idealized by a two-layer system. This model admits northward-travelling, topographic planetary waves with frequencies that lie in the observed range for reasonable values of the wavelength. However,the kinetic energy of these waves is mostly confined to the lower layer, in contrast to what is observed.
KeywordsPhase Speed Planetary Wave Environment Canada Lower Layer Velocity Current Spectrum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chang, P.Y.K, 1976. M.Sc. thesis, Department of Physics and Institute of Oceanography, University of British Columbia.Google Scholar
- Crean, P.B., and A.B. Ages, 1971. Department of Energy, Mines and Resources, Marine Sciences Branch, Vol. 1-5.Google Scholar
- Helbig, J.A., and L.A. Mysak, 1976. Strait of Georgia oscillations: I. Low-frequency currents and topographic planetary waves. J. Fish. Res. Bd. Can., in press.Google Scholar
- Mooers, C.N.K., 1973. Deep-Sea Res. 20: 1129–1141.Google Scholar
- Pedlosky, J., 1964. J. Atmos. Sci. 21: 201–219.Google Scholar
- Rhines, P.B., 1969. J. Fluid Mech. 37: 161–189.Google Scholar
- —, 1970. Geophysical Fluid Dynamics 1: 273–302.Google Scholar
- Tabata, S., and J.A. Strickland, 1972a. Environment Canada, Water Management Service, Marine Sciences Branch, Pacific Region, Pacific Marine Science Report No. 72–7.Google Scholar
- — 1972b. Environment Canada, Water Management Service, Marine Sciences Branch, Pacific Region, Pacific Marine Science Report No. 72–8.Google Scholar
- — 1972c. Environment Canada, Water Management Service, Marine Sciences Branch, Pacific Region, Pacific Marine Science Report No. 72–9.Google Scholar
- Tabata, S., J.A. Strickland and B.R. de Lange Boom, 1971. Fisheries Research Board of Canada, Technical Report No. 253.Google Scholar
- Waldichuk, M., 1957. J. Fish. Res. Bd. Can. 14: 321–486.Google Scholar