On R-boundedness of Unions of Sets of Operators
It is shown that the union of a sequence T 1, T 2, . . . of R-bounded sets of operators from X into Y with R-bounds T 1, T 2, . . ., respectively, is R-bounded if X is a Banach space of cotype q, Y a Banach space of type p, and Σk=1/∞ T k/r < ∞, where r = pq/(q − p) if q < ∞ and r = p if q = ∞. Here 1 ≤ p ≤ 2 ≤ q ≤ ∞ and p ≠ q. The power r is sharp. Each Banach space that contains an isomorphic copy of c 0 admits operators T 1, T 2, . . . such that ∥T k∥ = 1/k, k ∈ ℕ, and T 1, T 2, . . . is not R-bounded. Further it is shown that the set of positive linear contractions in an infinite-dimensional L p is R-bounded only if p = 2.
KeywordsBanach Space Measure Space Banach Lattice Maximal Regularity Isomorphic Copy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ph. Clément and J. Prüss, An operator-valued transference principle and maximal regularity on vector-valued L p-spaces, 67–87 in Evolution Equations and Their Applications in Physics and Life Sciences, Lumer and Weis (eds.), Marcel Dekker, 2000.Google Scholar
- R. Denk, M. Hieber, and Jan Prüss, R-boundedness, Fourier multipliers and problems of elliptic and parabolic type, Mem. Amer. Math. Soc. 166 (2003), no. 788.Google Scholar
- P. Kunstmann and L. Weis, Maximal L p-regularity for parabolic equations, Fourier multiplier theorems and H ∞-functional calculus, 65–311 in Functional analytic methods for evolution equations, Lecture Notes in Mathematics 1855, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2004Google Scholar
- J. Prüss, Maximal regularity for evolution equations in L p-spaces, Conf. Semin. Mat. Univ. Bari no. 285 (2002), 1–39 (2003).Google Scholar
- H. Witvliet, Unconditional Schauder decompositions and multiplier theorems, PhD-thesis, Delft University of Technology, Delft, 2000.Google Scholar