A Tableaux Calculus for Ambiguous Quantifiation
- 222 Downloads
Coping with ambiguity has recently received a lot of attention in natural language processing. Most work focuses on the semantic representation of ambiguous expressions. In this paper we complement this work in two ways. First, we provide an entailment relation for a language with ambiguous expressions. Second, we give a sound and complete tableaux calculus for reasoning with statements involving ambiguous quantification. The calculus interleaves partial disambiguation steps with steps in a traditional deductive process, so as to minimize and postpone branching in the proof process, and thereby increases its efficiency.
KeywordsSemantic Representation Logical Connective Ambiguous Sentence Proof Tree Entailment Relation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bos95]J. Bos. Predicate logic unplugged. In P. Dekker and M. Stokhof, editors, Proc. 10th Amsterdam Colloquium. ILLC, University of Amsterdam, 1995.Google Scholar
- [Dee96]K. van Deemter. Towards a logic of ambiguous expressions. In S. Peters, editors. Semantic Ambiguity and Underspecification. CSLI Publications, 1996 Peters and Deemter [DP96].Google Scholar
- [DP96]K. van Deemter and S. Peters, editors. Semantic Ambiguity and Underspecification. CSLI Publications, 1996.Google Scholar
- [EJ96]J. van Eijck and J. Jaspars. Ambiguity and reasoning. Technical Report CS-R9616, Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica, Amsterdam, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Jas97]J. Jaspars. Minimal logics for reasoning with ambiguous expressions. CLAUS-Report 94, University of Saarbrücken, 1997.Google Scholar
- [Kön94]E. König. A study in grammar design. Arbeitspapier des Sonderforschungsbereich 340 no. 54, Institut für Maschinelle Sprachverarbeitung, 1994.Google Scholar
- [KR96]E. König and U. Reyle. A general reasoning scheme for underspecified representations. In H.-J. Ohlbach and U. Reyle, editors, Logic and Its Applications. Festschrift for Dov Gabbay. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.Google Scholar
- [MR98]C. Monz and M. de Rijke. Reasoning with ambiguous expressions. Unpublished manuscript, 1998.Google Scholar
- [TS96]A. S. Troelstra and H. Schwichtenberg. Basic Proof Theory. Cambridge University Press, 1996.Google Scholar