A parallel continuous media server complying to the RTSP protocol
To implement high performance multimedia services, that are able to support a scalable amount of clients, the most critical components are the media servers storing the information and the networks delivering it.
We present a real implementation on a distributed memory parallel system that uses the Internet oriented RTSP and RTP protocols as interface to the client systems. It has been designed having its interaction with HTTP and RSVP in mind.
As main characteristics of this implementation we can mention its modular design, scalability in terms of storage capacity and number of clients, flexible configurability, its testing on IP over ATM and Fast-Ethernet networks, and the innovative use of new but promising Internet oriented protocols.
KeywordsAdmission Control Multimedia Data Multimedia Server Resource Reservation Interface Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. D. Clark & D. L. Tennenhouse: Architectural considerations for a new generation of protocols. SIGCOMM Symposium on Communications Architectures and Protocols, (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), pp. 200–208, IEEE, Sept. 1990. Computer Communications Review, Vol. 20(4), Sept. 1990.Google Scholar
- 2.L. Zhang, S. Deering, D. Estrin, S. Shenker, D. Zappala: RSVP: A New Resource Reservation Protocol.Google Scholar
- 3.D. Jadav, C. Srinilta, A. Choudhary, P. B. Berra: Techniques for Scheduling I/O in a High Performance Multimedia-on-Demand Server. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing 30, 190–203 (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.K. Nahrstedt: End-to-End QoS Guarantees in Networked Multimedia Systems. ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 27(4), December 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.B. Özden, R. Rastogi & A. Silberschatz: Research Issues in Multimedia Storage Servers. ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 27(4), December 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.P. J. Shenoy, P. Goyal & H. M. Vin: Issues in Multimedia Server Design. ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 27(4), December 1995.Google Scholar
- 7.H. Schulzrinne, S. Casner, R. Frederick, V. Jacobson: RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications. RFC 1889, January 1996.Google Scholar
- 8.S. Berson: “Classical” RSVP and IP over ATM. INET'96, April 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.H. Schulzrinne, A. Rao, R. Lanphier: Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP). draftietf-mmusic-rtsp-09.ps, February, 1998. Work in progress.Google Scholar