MEMO: A hybrid DAB/GSM communication system for mobile interactive multimedia services
The objective of the ACTS project MEMO (Multimedia Environment for Mobiles) is to develop, implement and demonstrate a communication system which brings interactive Multimedia services to fully mobile users. This is realised by combining the high-speed broadcasting facilities of DAB with a bi-directional telecommunications network like GSM. On the platform of these two European success stories three categories of services can be offered: Broadcast, Interactive Broadcast and Personal Services. Based on experience gained from first successful trials in 1996 with this platform for mobile Multimedia services a second generation equipment has been implemented using newest developments on DAB-Receivers. This paper reports on the basic principles of MEMO, the implementation of the second generation equipment, as well as on trial design and example services.
KeywordsMobile User Multimedia Service Personal Service Generation Equipment Multimedia Broadcast
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ETS 300 401, Radio Broadcast Systems; Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) to Mobile, Portable, and Fixed Receivers, European Telecommunications Standards Inst., Valbonne, France, June 1996Google Scholar
- 2.M. Alard et al: Principles of Modulation and Channel Coding for Digital Broadcasting for Mobile Receivers, ETU Technical Review, No. 224, Aug. 1987Google Scholar
- 3.W. Bock et al: Software for Content/Service Providers, MEMO deliverable 64, March 1998Google Scholar
- 4.A. Bridgen et al: Final Specification of APIs, MEMO deliverable 5171, October 1997Google Scholar
- 5.ACTS Multimedia Information Window: MEMO — Multimedia Environment for Mobiles, Multimedia Broadcast, pp 62–67, Deutsche Telekom Berkom GmbH Berlin, 1997Google Scholar
- 6.R. Rebhan et al: Multimedia Goes Mobile in Broadcast Networks, IEEE Multimedia, Vol. 4, No. 2, April–June 1997Google Scholar
- 7.J. Ebenhard et al: MEMO System Architecture, ACTS Mobile Communications Summit'97, Vol. 1, pp 282–2984, Aalborg, October 1997Google Scholar
- 8.European Commission: ONTHEMOVE, ACTS97 Project Summaries, Ref.No. AC971392PS, pp 196–197, European Commission, June 1997Google Scholar
- 9.Th. Lauterbach et al: Using DAB and GSM to Provide Interactive Multimedia Services to Portable and Mobile Terminals, ECMAST'97. Milano 1997Google Scholar
- 10.P. Luff et al: Final Specification of Requirements, MEMO deliverable 14, December 1997Google Scholar