VALIDATE — A virtual laboratory to accelerate the launch of digital terrestrial television
The VALIDATE project, with 19 partners in nine European countries, started work in late 1995 to verify the DVB standard for digital terrestrial TV broadcasting and to prepare for the launch of services. The work of the Project verified the DVB-T specification, ensuring its acceptance by ETS1, and is now facilitating the early introduction of services. The VALIDATE workplan includes prototype modems, laboratory and field tests, service planning parameters, transmitter issues, and gap-fillers or on-channel repeaters for professional and domestic use.
KeywordsDigital Video Broadcasting Public Service Broadcaster Single Frequency Network Mobile Reception Validate Project
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ETSI: Digital broadcasting systems for television, sound, and data services; Framing structure, channel coding and modulation for digital terrestrial television (DVB-T). ETS 300 744 (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Møller, L.G.: COFDM and the choice of parameters for DVB-T. Proceedings of the 20th International Television Symposium, Montreux, Cable/Satellite/Terrestrial pp. 270–290 (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Stott, J.H.: Explaining some of the magic of COFDM. Proceedings of the 20th International Television Symposium, Montreux, Cable/Satellite/Terrestrial pp. 341–350 (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Morello, A., Blanchieiti, G., Benzi, C., Sacco, B., and Taboue, M.: Performance assessment of a DVB-T television system. Proceedings of 20th International Television Symposium, Montreux, Cable/Satellite/Terrestrial pp. 298–310 (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Nokes, C.R., Pullen, I.R., and Salter, J.E.: Evaluation of a DVB-T compliant terrestrial television system. International Broadcasting Convention 1997, IEE Convention Publication No 447, pp. 331–336 (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Week, C. and Schramm, R.: Receiving DVB-T: Results of field trials and coverage considerations. Proceedings of 20th International Television Symposium, Montreux, Cable/Satellite/Terrestrial pp. 351–36,0 (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Week, C.: VALIDATE field trials of digital terrestrial television (DVB-T). Proceedings of NAB (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.ETSI: Digital Video Broadcasting (I)VB), Implementation guidelines for DVB terrestrial services; Transmission aspects. Technical Report TR 101 190 (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.CEPT: The Chester 1997 Multilateral Coordination Agreement relating to Technical Criteria, Coordination Principles and procedures for the introduction of Terrestrial Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB-T) (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.ETSI: Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); DVB mega-frame for Single Frequency Network (SFN) synchronisation. Technical Standard TS 101 191 (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Burow, R., Fazel, K., Hoeher, P., Klank, O., Kussmann, H., Pogrzeba, P., Robertson, P., and Ruf, M.J.: On the Performance of DVB-T System in Mobile Environments. Proceedings of ECMAST (1998)Google Scholar