Performance of TCP over cable modems and ADSL
There has been much interest in recent years in using asymmetric transmission systems over existing plant to provide high-speed Internet services using cable modem and Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL) technologies. In this paper analytic expressions for the throughput of TCP sessions on asymmetric links are presented, based on simple models. These are then generalised to account for the effect of transmission errors, and estimates made of the required error-rates in both the downstream and upstream directions. Finally some conclusions are drawn regarding the number of customers which can be supported by typical systems, given a requirement of al least 2 Mbit/s downstream transfer rate to cacti customer. It is found that the two technologies are likely to perform similarly, if the end-to-end delays are similar. However, the threshold at which packet losses become significant depends on the bandwidth-delay product, so lower delay can significantly reduce the effect of errors.
KeywordsPacket Loss Transmission Control Protocol Packet Loss Rate Transmission Error Transport Control Protocol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Stevens, WK.: TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1, The Protocols. Addison-Wesley (1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Lakshman,T.V.: Performance analysis of window-based flow control using TCP/IP: Effect of high bandwidth-delay products and random loss. High Performance Networking, V. IFIP TC6/WG6.4 Fifth International Conference, 27 June–1 July 1994, IFIP Transactions C (Communication Systems), vol.C-26 (1994) 135–49Google Scholar
- 3.Mathis, M., Semke, J., Malidavi, J., Ott, T.: The Macroscopic behaviour of the TCP congestion avoidance algorithm. Computer Communication Review vol. 27 (July 1997) 67–82Google Scholar
- 4.Diethelm, M.A.: Optimal transport of data on cable plants. Montreux 1997 International Television Symposium, Cable/Satellite/Terrestrial (June 1997) 59–80Google Scholar
- 5.Elloumi, O., Afifi, H., Hamdi, M.: Improving congestion avoidance algorithms for asymmetric networks. IEEE International Conference on Communications '97, vol 3 (June 1997) 1417–1421Google Scholar
- 6.Hrastar, S., Adas, A.: Network design of cable modem systems for WWW applications. Fourth International workshop on community network processing (Sept. 1997) 45–51Google Scholar