A rapid development model for meta-CASE tool design
This paper presents a rapid development model for meta CASE (Computer Aided Software Engineering) toolset design that can be customised to specific CASE tools. In this model, we address the methodology customisation through direct graph manipulation. Rapid prototyping modelling is employed to support this design with an easy to learn and use Graphic User Interface (GUI). It also emphasizes the ability to be an integrated platform for users to dynamically plug their own functionality into existing tools. Large and complex methodologies and projects can be supported due to the hierarchical design mechanism and flexible type definition method of the model. The use of powerful GUI classes of the model can greatly lighten developer work load. Through the implementation, our design model is verified and the results are satisfactory.
KeywordsGraphic User Interface Edge Type Type Check Case Tool Data Flow Diagram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bashar Nuseibeh: Meta-CASE support for method-based software development. Proc. of 1st Int. Congress on Meta-CASE, Sunderland, UK, January (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Albert Alderson: Meta-CASE technology. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Software Development Environments & CASE Technology 509 (1991) 81–91Google Scholar
- 3.Piotr Findeisen: The Metaview system. Research Report, Software Engineering Group, Computing Science Department, the University of Alberta, Canada (1994) http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/softeng/Metaview/doc/Google Scholar
- 4.MetaEdit+ version 2.0 evaluation manual. MetaCASE Consulting Company (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Graphical Designer user's manual. Advance Software Technologies, Inc. (1997) http://www.advancedsw.com/Google Scholar
- 6.A. H. M. ter Hofstede and T. F. Verhoef: Meta-CASE: Is the game worth the candle? Info Systems J. 6 (1996) 41–68Google Scholar
- 7.Michael Amberg: An architecture for a MetaCASE tool. Research Report, Department of Information Systems, University of Bamberg, Germny (1995) http://elwood.seda.sowi.uni-bamberg.de/forschung/metacase/meta-e.htmGoogle Scholar
- 8.Steven Kelly, Kari Smolander: Evolution and issues in MetaCASE. Information and Software Technology 38 (1996) 261–266Google Scholar
- 9.Levene M., Poulovassilis A.: The hypernode model and its associated query language. Proc. of the 5th Jerusalem Conf. on Information Technology, Oct. (1990) IEEE Press, 520–530Google Scholar
- 10.Louise Scott: Hypernode model support for software design methodology modelling. Proc. of Software Technology and Engineering Practice 97 (STEP97) IEEE Press, London July (1997)Google Scholar