A hybrid approach to multimedia database systems through integration of semantics and media-based search
With the increasing interest in multimedia, researchers across various disciplines, in particular, the database community and image processing community, have teamed up to conduct research in building multimedia database systems through integration of available technologies in various areas. In this paper, we introduce a hybrid approach to multimedia database systems in which traditional database systems are augmented by added media-dependent modules to manipulate and search multimedia data. SEMCOG (SEMantics and COGnition-based image retrieval) is a multimedia database system based on this hybrid architecture. We use it as an example to illustrate how to design and implement a hybrid multimedia database system. We also give our experiences with prototyping SEMCOG and issues raised for future research.
KeywordsHybrid systems multimedia databases image retrieval query language visual query interface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. R. Bach, C. Fuller, A. Gupta, A. Hampapur, B. Horowitz, R. Jain, and C.-F. Shu. The Virage Image Search Engine: An Open Framework for Image Management. In Proceedings of the SPIE-The International Society for Optical Engineering: Storage and Retrieval for Still Image and Video Databases IV, San Jose, CA, USA, February 1996.Google Scholar
- 2.Jonathan Ashley, Myron Flickner, James Hafner, Denis Lee, Wayne Niblack, and Dragutin Petkovic. The Query By Image Content (QBIC) System. In Proceedings of the 1995 ACM SIGMOD Conference, San Jose, California, May 23–25 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.Wen-Syan Li, K. Selçuk Candan, and K. Hirata. SEMCOG: An Integration of SEMantics and COGnition-based Approaches for Image Retrieval. In Proceedings of 1997 ACM Symposium on Applied Computing Special Track on Database Technology, San Jose, CA, USA, March 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.Wen-Syan Li, K. Selçuk Candan, K. Hirata, and Yoshi Hara. IFQ: A Visual Query Interface and Query Generator for Object-based Media Retrieval. In Proceedings of the 1997 IEEE Multimedia Computing and Systems Conference, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, June 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.Kyoji Hirata, Yoshinori Hasa, H. Takano, and S. Kawasaki. Content-Oriented Integration in Hypermedia Systems. In Proceedings of 1996 ACM Conference on Hypertext, March 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Y. Lee, M. K. Shan, and W. P. Yang. Similarity retrieval of iconic image databases systems. Pattern Recognition, 22(6):675–682, 1989.Google Scholar
- 7.G. A. Miller. WordNet: A Lexical Databases for English. Communications of the ACM, pages 39–41, November 1995.Google Scholar