Part of the Lecture Notes in Computer Science book series (LNCS, volume 1269)
Greedily approximating the r-independent set and k-center problems on random instances
In this paper we analyse the performance of the greedy algorithm for r-independent set on random graphs. We show that for almost all instances
The greedy algorithm has a performance ratio of 2+o(1).
The greedy algorithm yields a 1+o(1) approximation of the r-dominating set problem.
The k-center problem can be solved optimally.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. Alon, J. H. Spencer, and P. Erdós. The Probabilistic Method. Wiley, 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.B. Bollobás. Random Graphs. Academic Press, 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.Y. D. Burtin. On extreme metric parameters of a random graph: I. asymptotic estimates. Theory of Probability and its Applications, 19(4):710–725, 1974.Google Scholar
- 4.Y. D. Burtin. On extreme metric characteristics of a random graph: II. limit distributions. Theory of Probability and its Applications, 20(1):83–101, 1975.Google Scholar
- 5.G. J. Chang and G. L. Nemhauser. The k-domination and k-stability problems on sun-free chordal graphs. SIAM Journal on Algebraic Discrete Methods, 5(3):332–345, 1984.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Frieze and C. McDiarmid. Algorithmic theory of random graphs. Random Structures & Algorithms, 10:5–42, 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.A. M. Frieze. On the independence number of random graphs. Discrete Mathematics, 81:171–175, 1990.Google Scholar
- 8.G. R. Grimmett and C. McDiarmid. On colouring random graphs. Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, 77:313–324, 1975.Google Scholar
- 9.S. T. Hedetniemi and R. C. Laskar. Bibliography on domination in graphs and some basic definitions of domination parameters. Discrete Mathematics, 86:257–277, 1990.Google Scholar
- 10.D. S. Hochbaum. Easy solutions for the k-center problem or the dominating set problem on random graphs. Annals of Discrete Mathematics, 25:189–210, 1985.Google Scholar
- 11.C. McDiarmid. Colouring random graphs. Annals of Operations Research, 1:183–200, 1984.Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 1997