Global trader cooperation in open service markets
Client support for service access in open distributed systems plays an increasingly important role in the context of Open Distributed Processing (ODP). Examples for that include ODP's early standardisation efforts in the field of an ODP trading function and recent efforts of the Object Management Group's (OMG) to standardise a trading facility as one of its CORBA “Common Object Services”. In addition to that, integrating different local trader functions in order to extend service access support beyond local network boundaries recently became an increasingly important new trading function.
Based upon respective standardisation activities for trader cooperation in open service environments, this paper first elaborates on various ways to integrate cooperating local trading facilities into a global, distributed trading function. It then reports on specific prototyping experiences made in the international research project on Interworking Of Traders (IWT). Within this context, the paper focuses specifically on various aspects of designing and implementing a trader link management component that forms the basis for set up, maintenance, and coordination of global trader cooperations.
KeywordsService Type Indirect Interaction Type Manager Service Offer Service Mediation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BB94]A. Beitz and M. Bearman. An ODP Trading Service for DCE. In Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Services in Distributed and Networked Environments (SDNE), pages 42–49, Prague, Czech Republic, June 1994. IEEE Computer Society Press.Google Scholar
- [BR92]M. Bearman and K. Raymond. Federating traders: An ODP adventure. In J. de Meer, V. Heymer, and R. Roth, editors, Open Distributed Processing, Proceedings of the IFIP TC6/WG6.4 International Workshop on Open Distributed Processing, Berlin, 1991, pages 125–141. Elsevier Science Publishers B.V. (North-Holland), 1992.Google Scholar
- [Fou92]Open Software Foundation. Introduction to OSF DCE. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1992.Google Scholar
- [GGL+95]K. Geihs, H. Gründer, W. Lamersdorf, M. Merz, K. Müller, and A. Puder. Systemunterstützung für offene verteilte Dienstemärkte. In K. Franke, U. Hübner, and W. Kalfa, editors, Kommunikation in Verteilten Systemen: Neue Länder-Neue Netze-Neue Dienste, Informatik-Aktuell, pages 445–459. Springer-Verlag, February 1995.Google Scholar
- [GMJL96]F. Griffel, K. Müller-Jones, and W. Lamersdorf. Ein Interoperabilitätskonzept zur komponentenbasierten Software-Entwicklung auf heterogenen Middleware-Plattformen. To be published in Proceedings of GI'96, Klagenfurt, Austria, February 1996.Google Scholar
- [KW94]E. Kovacs and S. Wirag. Trading and distributed application management: An integrated approach. In Proceedings of the 5th IFIP/IEEE International Workshop on Distributed Systems: Operation and Management, October 1994.Google Scholar
- [LM95]L. Lima and E. Madeira. A model for federated trader. In Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Open Distributed Processing (ICODP '95), Brisbane, Australia, February 1995.Google Scholar
- [LMM95]W. Lamersdorf, M. Merz, and K. Müller-Jones. Middleware support for open distributed applications. In Proceedings of the First International Workshop on High Speed Networks and Open Distributed Platforms, St. Petersburg, Russia, June 1995.Google Scholar
- [MLL96]M. Merz, B. Liberman, and W. Lamersdorf. Interorganizational workflow management with mobile agents in cosm. In Proceedings of the First International Conference and Exhibition on The Practical Application of Intelligent Agents and Multi-Agent Technology, 1996.Google Scholar
- [MML94a]M. Merz, K. Müller, and W. Lamersdorf. Service trading and mediation in distributed computing environments. In Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS '94), pages 450–457. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- [MML94b]K. Müller, M. Merz, and W. Lamersdorf. Der TRADE-Trader: Ein Basisdienst offener verteilter Systeme. In C. Popien and B. Meyer, editors, Neue Konzepte für die Offene Verteilte Verarbeitung, pages 35–44. Verlag der Augustinus Buchhandlung, Aachen, September 1994.Google Scholar
- [MML95a]K. Müller-Jones, M. Merz, and W. Lamersdorf. Kooperationsanwendungen: Integrierte Vorgangskontrolle und Dienstvermittlung in offenen verteilten Systemen. In F. Huber-Wäschle, H. Schauer, and P. Widmayer, editors, GISI 95 — Herausforderungen eines globalen Informationsverbundes für die Informatik, Zürich, 1995, pages 518–525. Springer-Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- [MML95b]K. Müller-Jones, M. Merz, and W. Lamersdorf. The TRADEr: Integrating trading into DCE. In K. Raymond and L. Armstrong, editors, Open Distributed Processing: Experiences with distributed environments, Proceedings of the third IFIP TC 6/WG 6.1 international conference on open distributed processing, 1995, pages 476–487. Chapman & Hall, 1995.Google Scholar
- [ODP95]Draft International Standard 13235 — ODP Trading Function. International Organisation for Standardization, International Electrotechnical Commission, May 1995.Google Scholar
- [PMGG95]A. Puder, S. Markwitz, G. Gudermann, and K. Geihs. AI-based Trading in Open Distributed Processing. In K. Raymond and L. Armstrong, editors, Open Distributed Processing: Experiences with distributed environments, Proceedings of the third IFIP TC 6/WG 6.1 international conference on open distributed processing, 1995, pages 157–169. Chapman & Hall, 1995.Google Scholar
- [VBB95]A. Vogel, M. Bearman, and A. Beitz. Enabling interworking of traders. In Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Open Distributed Processing (ICODP '95), Brisbane, Australia, February 1995.Google Scholar
- [WB95]A. Waugh and M. Bearman. Designing an ODP Trader Implementation using X.500. In Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Open Distributed Processing (ICODP '95), Brisbane, Australia, February 1995.Google Scholar