Parallel algorithms for series parallel graphs
In this paper, a parallel algorithm is given that, given a graph G=(V, E), decides whether G is a series parallel graph, and if so, builds a decomposition tree for G of series and parallel composition rules. The algorithm uses O(log¦E¦log*¦E¦) time and O(¦E¦) operations on an EREW PRAM, andO(log¦E¦) time and O(¦E¦) operations on a CRCW PRAM (note that if G is a simple series parallel graph, then ¦E¦=O(¦V¦)). With the same time and processor resources, a tree-decomposition of width at most two can be built of a given series parallel graph, and hence, very efficient parallel algorithms can be found for a large number of graph problems on series parallel graphs, including many well known problems, e.g., all problems that can be stated in monadic second order logic. The results hold for undirected series parallel graphs graphs, as well as for directed series parallel graphs.
KeywordsDecomposition Tree Simple Path Reduction Rule Parallel Edge Conflict Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.H. L. Bodlaender and B. de Fluiter. Reduction algorithms for graphs with small treewidth. Technical Report UU-CS-1995-37, Department of Computer Science, Utrecht University, Utrecht, 1995.Google Scholar
- 4.H. L. Bodlaender and T. Hagerup. Parallel algorithms with optimal speedup for bounded treewidth. In Z. Fülöp and F. Gécseg, editors, Proceedings 22nd International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming, pages 268–279, Berlin, 1995. Springer-Verlag, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 944.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Eppstein. Parallel recognition of series parallel graphs. Information and Computation, 98:41–55, 1992.Google Scholar
- 8.X. He and Y. Yesha. Parallel recognition and decomposition of two terminal series parallel graphs. Information and Computation, 75:15–38, 1987.Google Scholar
- 9.T. Kikuno, N. Yoshida, and Y. Kakuda. A linear algorithm for the domination number of a series-parallel graph. Disc. Appl. Math., 5:299–311, 1983.Google Scholar
- 11.J. Valdes, R. E. Tarjan, and E. L. Lawler. The recognition of series parallel digraphs. SIAM J. Comput., 11:298–313, 1982.Google Scholar