Object-process based segmentation and recognition of ANSI and ISO standard dimensioning texts
Recognition of dimensioning text in engineering drawings is an essential part of the dimension understanding process, since this text is an important component of the dimension-set. We first introduce the OPD expression of the structural relations among the dimension-set components and the illustration of ISO and ANSI drafting standards. We then present principles and implementation of a method of segmentation and recognition of dimension text in ANSI and ISO based drawings. The method is vector-based, implying that the input is a set of vectors-wires (bars and arcs)-resulting from the orthogonal zig-zag vectorization, arc segmentation, and arrowhead pair recognition. Initial textbox extraction is done by a region growing process, performed on text-wire candidates. On the basis of textbox context (neighboring annotation wires), the drafting standard is detected. Raw textboxes are divided into logical textboxes, which are further decomposed into basic textboxes. A neural network based OCR algorithm is applied to each single character image decomposed from the basic textboxes and the symbol in each basic textbox in recognized. Finally, the OCR recognition results are verified by using contextual information and comparing the results with the measurements made directly on the drawing.
Keywordstext segmentation text-graphics separation text-graphics association engineering drawing understanding CAD conversion OCR
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Dori and K. Tombre, From Engineering Drawings to 3D CAD Models: Are We Ready Now? Computer Aided Design, 27,4, pp. 243–254, 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.L.A. Fletcher and R. Kasturi, A Robust Algorithm for Textbox String Separation from Mixed Text/Graphics Images, IEEE Trans. PAMI, 10,6, pp. 900–918, 1988.Google Scholar
- 3.C.P. Lay and R. Kasturi, Detection of Dimension Sets in Engineering Drawings, IEEE Trans. PAMI, 16, 8, pp. 848–854, 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.I. Chai and D. Dori, Extraction of Text Boxes from Engineering Drawings, Machine Vision Applications in Character Recognition and Industrial Inspection, Proceedings Series, 1661, SPIE, pp.38–49, 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Dori, Y. Liang, J. Dowell and I. Chai, Sparse-pixel recognition of primitives in engineering drawings, Machine Vision and Applications 6, pp. 69–82, 1993Google Scholar
- 6.D. Dori, Object-process Analysis: Maintaining the Balance Between System Structure and Behaviour, J. Logic Computat., 5, 2. pp. 227–249, 1995.Google Scholar
- 7.ANSI Y14.5M-1982 — Dimensioning and Tolerancing, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, 1983.Google Scholar
- 8.Paul Baffes, NETS — neural network simulator, Software Technology Branch NASA, Jonson Space Center, ftp from ftp.technion.ac.il /pub/unsupported/dos/simtel/neurlnet/nasanets.zip.Google Scholar
- 9.NITS database, ftp from host 184.108.40.206Google Scholar