On competitive on-line paging with lookahead
This paper studies two methods for improving the competitive efficiency of on-line paging algorithms: in the first, the on-line algorithm can use more pages; in the second, it is allowed to have a lookahead, or in other words, some partial knowledge of the future. The paper considers a new measure for the lookahead size as well as Young's resource-bounded lookahead and proves that both measures have the attractive property that the competitive efficiency of an on-line algorithm with k extra pages and lookahead l depends on k+l. Hence, under these measures, an on-line algorithm has the same benefit from using an extra page or knowing an extra bit of the future.
KeywordsCompetitive Ratio Page Fault Request Sequence Page Request Fast Memory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Albers. The Influence of Lookahead in Competitive Paging Algorithms. In Proc. 1st European Symposium on Algorithms, number 726 in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 1–12. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany, 1993.Google Scholar
- 2.L.A. Belady. A study of replacement algorithms for a virtual-storage computer. IBM Systems Journal, 5(2):78–101, 1966.Google Scholar
- 5.E.F. Grove. Online Bin Packing with Lookahead. In Proc. 6th ACM-SIAM Symp. on Discrete Algorithms, pages 430–436, 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.E. Koutsoupias. On-Line Algorithms and the k-server Conjecture. PhD thesis, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, University of California, San Diego, 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.E. Koutsoupias and C.H. Papadimitriou. Beyond Competitive Analysis. In Proc. 35th IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 394–400, 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.D.D. Sleator and R.E. Tarjan. Amortized Efficiency of List Update and Paging Rules. Comm. of the ACM, 28(2):202–208, 1985.Google Scholar
- 10.E. Torng. A Unified Analysis of Paging and Caching. In Proc. 36th IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, 1995. To appear.Google Scholar
- 11.N. Young. Competitive Paging and Dual-Guided On-Line Weighted Caching and Matching Algorithms. PhD thesis, Dept. of Computer Science, Princeton University, 1991.Google Scholar
- 12.N. Young. On-Line Caching as Cache Size Varies. In Proc. 2nd ACM-SIAM Symp. on Discrete Algorithms, pages 241–250, 1991.Google Scholar