Simplification of polygonal surface with attributes
Hierarchical modeling obtained from reducing detailed polygonal meshes to simple ones has been approved to be an effective alternative for fast rendering. In this paper, we address two important problems remained in simplification of polygonal surface: (1) reducing a meshed surface with attributes; (2) dealing with geometric and nongeometric feature lines on the surface; A concept of semicircle criteria is proposed, that takes not only geometric features but attributes of the polygonal surfaces into account. Comparing with previous work, our method is more general, practical and flexible to complex objects. Several examples are demonstrated.
KeywordsHuman Head Digital Terrain Model Polygonal Surface Valley Line Removable Vertex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.James H.: Clark. Hierarchical geometric models for visible surface algorithms. CACM, 19(10): (Oct. 1976)547–554Google Scholar
- 2.John S. Falby, Michael J. Zyda, David R. Pratt, and Randy L. Mackey. NPSNET: Hierarchical data structure for real-time three-dimensional visual simulation. Cornput. Graphics, 17, 1(1993)65–69Google Scholar
- 3.Paul S. Heckbert and Michael Garland.: Multiresolution modeling for fast rendering. Graphics Interface '94, (May 1994)43–50Google Scholar
- 4.F. J. M. Schmitt, B. A. Barsky, and Du Wen-hui: An adptive subdivision method for surface-fitting from sampled data, Comput. Graphics, 20, 4(1986)179–188Google Scholar
- 5.Michael J. Dehaemer, and Michael J. Zyda, Simplification of objects rendered by polygonal approximations, Comput. Graphics, 15, 2(1991)175–184Google Scholar
- 6.Greg Turk: Re-tiling polygonal surfaces, Computer Graphics 26, 2(SIGGRAPH'92) 55–64Google Scholar
- 7.H. Hoppe, T. DeRose, T. Duchamp, J. McDonald, and W. Stuetzle: Mesh Optimization, Computer Graphics, (SIGGRAPH'92)19–26Google Scholar
- 8.William J. Schroeder, Jonathan A. Zarge, and William E. Lorensen: Decimation of triangle meshes, Computer Graphics, 26, 2(SIGGRAPH'92)65–70Google Scholar
- 9.Bernd Hamann, A data reduction scheme for trianglulated surfaces, Computer Aided Geometric Design, No.11 (1994)197–214Google Scholar
- 10.Florian Schroder and Patrick Robbach: Managing the complexity of digital terrain models, Comput. Graphics 18, 6(1994)775–783Google Scholar