A B-spline surface interpolation technique for reconstructing 3d objects from serial arbitrary shaped planar contours
A new method is presented to the B-spline surface presentation of an object defined by a set of parallel slices. For the application of B-spline inversion procedure, the methods about the data points generated are mainly introduced. The mesh of the data points is generated from interpolation curves of the vertex of the contour, which enable the interpolating surface to approximate the original object. It has the advantage that the reconstructed surface keep the smoothness in total longitudinal direction. The proposed method is also capable of handling the branching problem. Several experimental results corroborate the theory. The results show the image with high fidelity and the rendering speed are satisfactory and pleasing.
KeywordsInversion Procedure Surface Interpolation Lower Contour Sectional Contour Planar Contour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.David Meyers and Shelley Skinner Surface from contours. ACM Trans. on Graphics vol.11, No.3, 1992Google Scholar
- 2.Ekoule,A.B., Peyrin,F.C. and Odet,C.L. A triangulation algorithm from arbitrary shaped multiple planar contours. ACM Trans. on Graphics vol.10, No.2, 1991Google Scholar
- 3.Boissonnat,J.D., Shape reconstruction from planar cross-sections. Computer vision, Graphics, Image process ing Vol.44, No.1(1988)Google Scholar
- 4.Lounsbery, M., Loop,C., A testbed for the comparison of parametric surface methods. In SPIE Symposium on Electronic Imaging science and technology. 1990Google Scholar
- 5.C. C. liang, Dynamic Elastic Interpolation for 3D object Reconstruction from serial cross-sectional Images. IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging No.3, 1988Google Scholar
- 6.W. C. Lin and S. Y. Chen A new surface interpolation technique for reconstructing 3D objects from serial cross-sections. Comp. vision, Graphics & Image Processing 48(1989)Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Shinagawa and T. L. Kunii A generalized model for smooth surface generation from cross-sectional data. Visual Computer 7(1991)Google Scholar
- 8.C. D. Woodward Skinning techniques for interactive B-spline surface interpolation. Computer-aided design Vol.20, No.8,1988Google Scholar
- 9.S. Wu, J. F. Abel and D.P. Greenber, An interactive computer graphics approach to surface representation, commum. ACM, 20, No.10 1977, P703–712Google Scholar
- 10.Lee E t y. Choosing nodes in parametric curve interpolation. CAD, vol.21, No.6, 1989Google Scholar
- 11.Meihe Xu, Zesheng Tang and Junhui Deng A New Algorithm for Contours-Connection CAD/CG'95 Wuhan, China, 1995Google Scholar