Ray tracing stereoscopic images
Stereoscopic images are becoming more and more in demand due to the advents of virtual reality. With ray tracing, stereoscopic images can give stunningly realistic effect to the viewer. However, the time needed to generate one raytraced image is already too long. If the time needs to be doubled, ray tracing stereoscopic images would discourage most potential users. In this paper, an algorithm is presented that generates stereo pair images in about 60% of the time needed for generating the stereo pair images separately. And the resulting images of this algorithm is effectively identical to those generated separately. We evaluate and compare the algorithm with stereoscopic images generated separately.
KeywordsTarget Object Temporal Coherence Left Image Stereoscopic Image Back Projection Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ADELSON, Stephen J. & Jeffrey B. Bentley & In Seok Chong & Larry F. Hodges & Joseph Winograd, “Simultaneous Generation of Stereoscopic Views”, Computer Graphics Forum 10(1991)3–10, 1991Google Scholar
- 2.ADELSON, Stephen J. & Larry F. Hodges, “Stereoscopic Ray-tracing”, The Visual Computer (1993) 10:127–144, Springer-Verlag, 1993Google Scholar
- 3.BADT, Sig Jr., “Two Algorithms for Taking Advantage of Temporal Coherence in Ray Tracing”, The Visual Computer (1988) 4:123–132, Springer-Verlag, 1988Google Scholar
- 4.CHAPMAN, J. & T.W. Calvert & J. Dill, “Exploiting Temporal Coherence in Ray Tracing”, Proceedings: Graphics Interface '90, Canadian Information Processing Society, 1990Google Scholar
- 5.CHAPMAN, J. & T.W. Calvert & J. Dill, “Spatio-Temporal Coherence in Ray Tracing”, Proceedings: Graphics Interface '91, Canadian Information Processing Society, 1991Google Scholar
- 6.EZELL, John D. & Larry F. Hodges, “Some Preliminary Results on Using Spatial Locality to Speed Up Ray Tracing of Stereoscopic Images”, Proceedings of SPIE Vol.1256 Stereoscopic Displays and Applications, 1990Google Scholar
- 7.GLASSNER, Andrew S., “Space Subdivision for Fast Ray Tracing”, IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications, v.4, n.10, October 1984Google Scholar
- 8.JEVANS, David A., “Object Space Temporal Coherence for Ray Tracing”, Proceedings: Graphics Interface '92, Canadian Information Processing Society, 1992Google Scholar
- 9.KAY, Timothy L., & James Kajiya, “Ray Tracing Complex Scenes”, Computer Graphics 20(4):269–278, August 1986.Google Scholar
- 10.PAPATHOMAS, Thomas V. & James A. Schiavone & Bela Julesz, “Stereo Animation for Very Large Data Bases: Case Study — Meteorology”, IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications 7(9): 18–27, 1987Google Scholar
- 11.WHITTED, Turner, “An Improved Illumination Model for Shaded Display”, Communications of the ACM, 23(6):343–349, June 1980.Google Scholar