A new chain coding scheme for cursive script and line drawings
A new chain coding scheme, called DM-like differential chain coding (DM-DCC) is proposed in this paper for coding, storage and transmission of cursive script and line drawings. Analogous to the traditional delta modulation (DM) for waveform coding, DM-DCC uses one bit which corresponds to two vector links to encode a trace segment. It offers greatly reduced coding rate, smaller encoded file size, simpler data syntax and better robustness as compared to differential chain coding (DCC) and standard chain coding (SCC) while still maintaining comparable subjective graphical qulity.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C.C. Tappert, C.Y. Suen, and T. Wakahara, “The state of the art in on-line handwriting recognition,” IEEE Trans. Patt. Anal. Mach. Intel., vol. 12, pp. 787–808, Aug. 1990Google Scholar
- 2.H. Freeman, “On the encoding of arbitrary geometric figures,” IRE Trans. Electron. Comput., vol. EC-10, pp. 260–268, June 1961Google Scholar
- 3.J.C. Arnbak, J.H. Bons, and J.W. Vieveen, “Graphical correspondence in electronic-mail networks using personal computers,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 7, pp. 257–267, Feb. 1989Google Scholar
- 4.K. Liu and R. Prasad, “Performance analysis of differential chain coding,” European Transaction on Telecommunications and Related Technology, vol. 3, pp. 323–330, Jul–Aug. 1992Google Scholar
- 5.A.B. Johannessen, R. Prasad, N.B.J. Weyland and J.H. Bons, “Coding efficiency of multiring differential chain coding,” IEE Proceedings, Part I, vol. 139, pp. 224–232, April 1992Google Scholar
- 6.D.L. Neuhoff and K.G. Castor, “A rate and distortion analysis of chain codes for line drawings,” IEEE Tran. Information Theory, vol. IT-31, pp. 53–68, Jan. 1985Google Scholar
- 7.F.C.A. Groen and P.W. Verbeek, “Freeman-code probabilities of object boundary quantized contours,” Comput. Graphics & Image Process., vol. 7, pp. 391–402, 1978Google Scholar