Dynamic memory mapping for window based display system
The use of a frame buffer that reads the memories in the left-to-right, top-to-bottom raster scan sequence dictates that the frame buffer must contain a pixel-to-pixel map of the whole display image. This is not an efficient or convenient manner to store raster images and update the display screen. A different approach to raster scan image generation is the use of a dynamic memory mapping mechanism to fetch the images directly from the various areas of the frame buffer to the display device during the active display time. This paper presents a data structure that is used to specify the tiling of the display screen, and the algorithms used to process the display description list in real time with no inherent limitation on the number of window boundaries per scan line that can be accommodated.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Newman W., Sproull R. (1973), Principle of Interactive Computer Graphics, second edition, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1979.Google Scholar
- 2.Thacker E., McCreight E., Lampson B., Sproull R., Boggs R., “Alto: A Personal Computer”, in Siewiorek O., Bell G. and Newell A. Computer Structure: Readings and Example, McGraw-Hill, New York, second edition, 1981.Google Scholar
- 3.McKee P., Long C, Corbyn T., “VT80: ITN's new Computer Graphics Generator”, Television: the Journal of the Royal Television Society, January/February 1981, pp. 21–23.Google Scholar
- 4.Corbyn T.E. (1984), “VT80: ITN's Advanced graphics Generator”, Television: Journal of the Royal Television Society, January/February 1984, pp. 14–16.Google Scholar
- 5.Nicholls B. (1987), “Inside the 82786 Graphics Chip”, BYTE, Aug. 1987,pp. 135–41.Google Scholar
- 6.Wilkes A.J., Singer D.W., Gibbons J.J., King T.R., Robinson P., Wisemand N.E. (1984), “The Rainbow Workstation”, The Computer Journal, 27(2), 1984, pp. 112–120.Google Scholar
- 7.Shires G. (1986), “A New VLSI Graphics Coprocessor — The Intel 82786”, IEEE CG & A, October 1986, pp. 99–105.Google Scholar
- 8.Westmore R.J. (1988), “A Window-Based Graphics Frame Store Architecture”, ACM Transaction on Graphics, 7(4), October 1988, pp. 233–248.Google Scholar
- 9.Machover C, Dill J. (1994), “IBM Graphics Acceleration Speed RISC System 6000s”, IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, 14(5), Sept. 1994. pp. 90.Google Scholar
- 10.Burksy D. (1994), “Acceleration Puts The SNAP Inti Graphics”, Electronic Design, July 1994, pp. 55–74.Google Scholar
- 11.Intel (1989), i960 Embedded Processor Product Overview, Intel Corporation, 1989.Google Scholar