Learning ordered binary decision diagrams
This note studies the learnability of ordered binary decision diagrams (obdds). We give a polynomial-time algorithm using membership and equivalence queries that finds the minimum obdd for the target respecting a given ordering. We also prove that both types of queries and the restriction to a given ordering are necessary if we want minimality in the output, unless P=NP. If learning has to occur with respect to the optimal variable ordering, polynomial-time learnability implies the approximability of two NP-hard optimization problems: the problem of finding the optimal variable ordering for a given obdd and the Optimal Linear Arrangement problem on graphs.
KeywordsPolynomial Time Boolean Function Binary Decision Diagram Membership Query Deterministic Finite Automaton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.D. Angluin: “Queries and concept learning”. Machine Learning 2 (1988), 319–342.Google Scholar
- 3.D. Angluin: “Negative results for equivalence queries” Machine Learning 5 (1990), 121–150.Google Scholar
- 4.B. Bollig and I. Wegener: Improving the variable ordering of OBDDs is NP-complete. Technical Report # 542, Universität Dortmund (1994).Google Scholar
- 6.S. Fortune, J. Hopcroft, and E. Schmidt: “The complexity of equivalence and containment for free single variable program schemes”. Proc. 5th Intl. Colloquium on Automata, Languages, and Programming. Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science 62 (1978), 227–240.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Garey and D. Johnson: Computers and intractability: a guide to the theory of NP-completeness. Freeman 1979.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Gergov and C. Meinel: “On the complexity of analysis and manipulation of Boolean functions in terms of decision graphs”. Information Processing Letters 50 (1994), 317–322.Google Scholar
- 9.V. Raghavan and D. Wilkins: “Learning μ-branching programs with queries”. Proc. 6th COLT (1993), 27–36.Google Scholar
- 10.R.E. Schapire: The Design and Analysis of Efficient Learning Algorithms. MIT Press, 1992.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Tani, K. Hamaguchi, and S. Yajima: “The complexity of the optimal variable ordering problems for shared binary decision diagrams”, Proc. 4th Intl. Symposium ISAAC'93. Springer Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science 762 (1993), 389–398.Google Scholar