Witness-isomorphic reductions and the local search problem (extended abstract)
- 924 Downloads
We study witness-isomorphic reductions, a type of structure-preserving reduction between NP-decision problems. We show that witness-isomorphic reductions can be used in a uniform approach to the local search problem.
KeywordsLocal Search Vertex Cover Boolean Formula Satisfying Assignment Tight Connection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AB92]M. Agrawal and S. Biswas. Universal relations. In Proceedings of the 1th Structure in Complexity Theory Conference, pages 207–220, Boston, Mass., June 1992. IEEE Computer Society Press.Google Scholar
- [ADP80]G. Ausiello, A. D'Atri, and M. Protasi. Structure preserving reductions among convex optimization problems. J. Computer and System Sciences, 21:136–153, 1980.Google Scholar
- [EW]K. Edwards and D. Welsh. On the complexity of uniqueness problems. Manuscript, early 1980s.Google Scholar
- [Fis95]S. Fischer. On the complexity of local search problems. Information Processing Letters, 53:69–75, 1995.Google Scholar
- [HH91]J. Hartmanis and L. Hemachandra. One-way functions and the non-isomorphism of NP-complete sets. Theoretical Computer Science, 81(1):155–163, 1991.Google Scholar
- [JPY88]D. Johnson, C. Papadimitriou, and M. Yannakakis. How easy is local search? J. Comput. System Sci., 37:79–100, 1988.Google Scholar
- [LL78]N. Lynch and R. Lipton. On structure preserving reductions. SIAM J. Comp., 7(2):119–125, 1978.Google Scholar
- [Sim75]J. Simon. On some central problems in computational complexity. Technical report, Cornell University, Ithaca NY, 1975. TR 75-224.Google Scholar
- [VV85]L. Valiant and V. Vazirani. NP is as easy as detecting unique solutions. In Proc. 17th ACM Symp. Theory of Computing, pages 458–463, 1985.Google Scholar
- [Zan91]V. Zankó. #P-completeness via many-one reductions. International Journal of Foundations of Computer Science, 2(1):76–82, 1991.Google Scholar