A prototype neural network decision-support tool for the early diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction
An application of the ARTMAP neural network model to the early diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction is described. Performance results are given for 10 individual ARTMAP networks, and for combinations of the networks using “pooled” decision making (the so-called voting strategy). Category nodes are pruned from the trained networks in different ways so as to improve accuracy, sensitivity and specificity respectively. The differently pruned networks are employed in a novel “cascaded” variation of the voting strategy. This allows a partitioning of the test data into predictions with a high and a lower certainty of being correct, providing the diagnosing clinician with an indication of the reliability of an individual prediction.
KeywordsAcute Myocardial Infarction Vote Strategy Category Class Category Cluster Category Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G.A. Carpenter and S. Grossberg (1987) A Massively Parallel Architecture for a Self-Organizing Neural Pattern Recognition Machine, Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing, 37, 54–115. Reprinted in , 316–382.Google Scholar
- G.A. Carpenter and S. Grossberg (Eds.) (1991) Pattern Recognition by Self-Organizing Neural Networks. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- G.A. Carpenter and A.H. Tan (1993) Rule Extraction, Fuzzy ARTMAP, and Medical Databases, Proceedings of the World Congress on Neural Networks, Volume I, 501–506.Google Scholar
- J. Downs, R.F. Harrison and S.S. Cross (1995) Evaluating a Neural Network Decision Support Tool for the Diagnosis of Breast Cancer, this volume.Google Scholar
- J. Downs, R.F. Harrison, R.L. Kennedy and K. Woods (In Press) The Use of Fuzzy ARTMAP to Identify Low Risk Coronary Care Patients, to appear in Proceedings of the 1995 International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms (ICANNGA-95). Vienna: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- R.F. Harrison, C.P. Lim and R.L. Kennedy (1994) Autonomously Learning Neural Networks for Clinical Decision Support. In: E.C. Ifeachor and K.G. Rosen (Eds.) Proceedings of the International Conference on Neural Networks and Expert Systems in Medicine and Healthcare (NNESMED-94), Plymouth, UK, 15–22.Google Scholar
- T. Kasuba (1993) Simplified Fuzzy ARTMAP, AI Expert, 8(11), 18–25.Google Scholar
- S. Marriott and R.F. Harrison (In Press) A Modified Fuzzy ARTMAP Architecture for the Approximation of Noisy Mappings, to appear in Neural Networks.Google Scholar