Accurate 2D Euler computations by means of a high order discontinuous finite element method
This work describes a high order accurate discontinuous finite element method for the numerical solution of the equations governing compressible inviscid flows. Our investigation has focused on the problem of correctly prescribing the boundary conditions along curved boundaries. “Ale show by numerical testing that, in the presence of curved boundaries, a high order approximation of the solution requires a corresponding high-order approximation of the geometry of the domain. Numerical solutions of transonic flows are presented which illustrate the versatility and the accuracy of the proposed method.
KeywordsCurve Boundary Discontinuous Galerkin Method Unstructured Mesh Transonic Flow High Order Approximation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bassi, F., Rebay, S., Savini, M. (1992). “A High Resolution Discontinuous Galerkin Method for Hyperbolic Problems on Unstructured Grids”. In proceedings, 3-rd ICFD Conference, Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Bassi, F., Rebay, S., Savini, M. (1992). “Discontinuous Finite Element Euler Solutions on Unstructured Meshes”. In proceedings, 13-th ICNMFD, Lecture Notes in Physics, Vol 414, 245–249.Google Scholar
- Bey, K. S. and Oden, J. T. (1991). “A Runge-Kutta Discontinuous Finite Element Method for High Speed Flows”. AIAA paper no. 91-1575-CP, 541–555.Google Scholar
- Cockburn, B. and Shu, C.-W. (1989). “TVB Runge-Kutta Local Projection Discontinuous Galerkin Finite Element Method for Conservation Laws II: General Framework”. Math. Comp., 52, 411–435.Google Scholar
- Cockburn, B., Hou, S. and Shu, C.-W. (1990). “The Runge-Kutta Local Projection Discontinuous Galerkin Finite Element Method for Conservation Laws IV: The Multidimensional Case“. Math. Comp., 54, 545–581.Google Scholar
- Dervieux, A., Van Leer, B., Periaux, J., Rizzi, A., (1989). “Numerical Simulation of Compressible Euler Flows”. Notes on Numerical Fluid Dynamics, Vol. 26.Google Scholar
- Johnson, C. (1992). “Finite Element Methods for Flow Problems”. In Unstructured Grid Methods for Advection Dominated Flows, AGARD Report 787 — VKI Numerical Grid Genaration 1992.Google Scholar