Agglomeration multigrid for the Euler equations
A multigrid procedure that makes use of coarse grids generated by the agglomeration of control volumes is used to solve the two- and three-dimensional Euler equations on unstructured grids about complex configurations. The agglomeration is done as a preprocessing step and runs on a workstation in a time linearly proportional to the number of fine grid points. The agglomeration multigrid technique compares very favorably with existing multigrid procedures both in terms of convergence rates and elapsed times. The main advantage of the present approach is the ease with which coarse grids of any desired degree of coarseness may be generated in three dimensions, without being constrained by considerations of geometry. Inviscid flows over a variety of complex configurations are computed using the agglomeration multigrid strategy.
KeywordsEuler Equation Control Volume Coarse Grid Fine Grid AIAA Paper
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Mavriplis, D. J., and Jameson, A., “Multigrid Solution of the Two-Dimensional Euler Equations on Unstructured Triangular Meshes”, AIAA Journal, Vol 26, No. 7, July 1988, pp. 824–831.Google Scholar
- Mavriplis,D. J., “ Three Dimensional Multigrid for the Euler equations”, AIAA Journal, Vol. 30, No. 7, July 1992, pp. 1753–1761.Google Scholar
- Leclercq,M. P., “ Resolution des Equations d'Euler par des Methodes Multigrilles Conditions aux Limites en Regime Hypersonique”, Ph.D Thesis, Applied Math, Universite de Saint-Etienne, April, 1990.Google Scholar
- Peraire, J., Peiro, J., and Morgan, K., “ A 3D Finite-Element Multigrid Solver for the Euler Equations”, AIAA paper 92-0449, January 1992.Google Scholar
- Smith, W. A., “ Multigrid Solution of Transonic Flow on Unstructured Grids”, Recent Advances and Applications in Computational Fluid Dynamics, Proceedings of the ASME Winter Annual Meeting, Ed. O. Baysal, November, 1990.Google Scholar
- Venkatakrishnan, V., Mavriplis, D.J., and Berger,M.J., “Unstructured Multigrid through Agglomeration,” Proceedings of the 6th Copper Mountain Multigrid Conference, April 1993.Google Scholar
- Venkatakrishnan, V. and Mavriplis, D.J., “Agglomeration Multigrid for the Three-dimensional Euler Equations,” AIAA Paper 94-0069, January 1994; to appear in AIAA Journal.Google Scholar
- Mavriplis, D.J. and Venkatakrishnan, V., “Agglomeration Multigrid for Viscous Turbulent Flows,” AIAA Paper 94-2232, July 1994.Google Scholar
- Koobus, B., Lallemand, M. H., and Dervieux, A., “Unstructured Volume Agglomeration: Solution of the Poisson Equation”, INRIA Report 1946, June 1993.Google Scholar
- Jameson, A., Baker, T. J., and Weatherill, N. P., “Calculation of Inviscid Transonic Flow over a Complete aircraft”, AIAA Paper 86-0103, January 1986.Google Scholar