Genetic L-System Programming
We present the Genetic L-System Programming (GLP) paradigm for evolutionary creation and development of parallel rewrite systems (L-systems, Lindenmayer-systems) which provide a commonly used formalism to describe developmental processes of natural organisms. The L-system paradigm will be extended for the purpose of describing time- and context-dependent formation of formal data structures representing rewrite rules or computer programs (expressions).
With GLP two methods gleaned from nature are combined: simulated evolution and simulated structure formation. A prototypical GLP system implementation is described. Controlled evolution of complex structures is exemplified by the development of tree structures generated by the movement of a 3D-turtle.
KeywordsGenetic Programming Genetic Operator Interpretation Function Evolutionary Creation Expression Evolution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Antonisse, H.J., A Grammer-Based Genetic Algorithm, in: G. Rawlins (ed.), Foundations of Genetic Algorithms, San Mateo, 1991.Google Scholar
- 2.Jacob, C., Rehder, J., Evolution of neural net architectures by a hierarchical grammar-based genetic system, ICNNGA'93, International Conference on Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms, Innsbruck, Austria, 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.Jacob, C., Typed expressions evolution of artificial nervous systems, to appear in: ICANN'94, International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks, Sorrento, Italy, 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.Kinnear, K.E., Advances in Genetic Programming, MIT Press, London, 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.Koza, J.R., Genetic Programming, On the Programming of Computers by Means of Natural Selection, MIT Press, London, 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.Lindenmayer, A., Rozenberg, G. (eds.), Automata, Languages, Development, North-Holland, 1975.Google Scholar
- 8.Peitgen, H.-O., Jürgens, H., Saupe, D., Chaos and Fractals, New Frontiers of Science, Springer-Verlag, 1993, p. 363.Google Scholar
- 9.Prusinkiewicz, P., Lindenmayer, A., The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants, Springer-Verlag, 1990, pp. 11ff.Google Scholar