Efficient multi-signature schemes for cooperating entities
Sharing signature power may be required in many occasions. Moreover a multisigning operation may be required to be performed simultaneously (in some sense) by all the involved cosigning parties.
We describe a complete cooperation-based signature scheme achieving such requirements. It is based on mental games and in particular on the Guillou-Quisquater zero-knowledge scheme. In our scheme, the cosigners interact with an intermediate entity, the combiner, to produce a multisignature. Only one interactive exchange is required. The scheme is practical and secure. A cheating combiner can only prevent the operation from happening but it will be immediately detected. No impersonation, substitution, or coalition attacks are possible.
KeywordsHash Function Signature Scheme Public Exponent Multisignature Scheme Secret Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BBDGQ91]S. Bengio, G. Brassard, Y. Desmedt, C. Goutier and J.-J. Quisquater. Secure Implementation of Identification Systems. Journal of Cryptology (1991) 4, pp. 175–183.Google Scholar
- [BGKW88]M. Ben-Or, S. Goldwasser, J. Killian and A. Wigderson. Multi-prover interactive proofs: How to remove intractability assumptions. In Proceedings of the twentieth annual ACM Symp. Theory of Computing, STOC, pp. 113–131, May 2–4,1988.Google Scholar
- [BD89]M. V. D. Burmester and Y. G. Desmedt. Remarks on Soundness of Proofs. Electronic letters, 26th October 1989, Vol. 25, N∘ 22, pp. 1509–1510.Google Scholar
- [Bu93]M. V. D. Burmester. To appear.Google Scholar
- [Da88]I. B. Damgård. Collision-Free Hash Functions and Public-Key Signature schemes. Advances in cryptology, Proceedings of EUROCRYPT '87, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, N∘ 304, pp. 203–216, Springer-Verlag, 1988.Google Scholar
- [DF92]Y. Desmedt and Y. Frankel. Shared Generation of Authenticators and Signatures. Advances in cryptology, Proceedings of CRYPTO '91, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, N∘ 576, pp. 457–469, Springer-Verlag, 1992.Google Scholar
- [DQ87]Y. Desmedt and J.-J. Quisquater. Public-key systems based on the difficulty of tampering. Advances in cryptology, Proceedings of CRYPTO '86, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, N∘ 263, pp. 186–194, Springer-Verlag, 1987.Google Scholar
- [dWQ90]D. de Waleffe and J.-J. Quisquater. Better login protocols for computer networks. Proceedings of ESORICS '90, pp. 163–172, October 1990.Google Scholar
- [FO89]Ph. Flajolet and A. M. Odlyzko. Random Mapping Statistics. Advances in cryptology, Proceedings of EUROCRYPT '89, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, N∘ 434, pp. 329–354, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- [GMRa89]S. Goldwasser, S. Micali and C. Rackoff. The Knowledge Complexity of Interactive Proof Systems. Siam. J. Comput., 1989, Vol. 18, N∘ 1, pp. 186–208.Google Scholar
- [GQ88]L. C. Guillou and J.-J. Quisquater. Efficient digital public-key signatures with shadow. Advances in cryptology, Proceedings of CRYPTO '87, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, N∘ 304, p. 223, Springer-Verlag, 1988.Google Scholar
- [GQ89a]L. C. Guillou and J.-J. Quisquater. A practical zero-knowledge protocol fitted to security microprocessor minimizing both transmission and memory. In C. G. Günther, editor, Advances in Cryptology, Proceedings of EUROCRYPT '88, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, N∘ 330, pp. 123–128, Springer-Verlag, May 1988. Davos, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- [GQ89b]L. C. Guillou and J.-J. Quisquater. A “paradoxical” identity-based signature scheme resulting from zero-knowledge. In Advances in cryptology, Proceedings of CRYPTO '88, N∘ 403, pp. 216–231, Springer-Verlag, 1989.Google Scholar
- [GUQ91]L. C. Guillou, M. Ugon and J.-J. Quisquater. The Smart Card: A standardized Security Device Dedicated to Public Cryptology. Contemporary Cryptology: The Science Information Integrity, edited by G. J. Simmons, IEEE Press, 1991.Google Scholar
- [Sh85]A. Shamir. Identity-based cryptosystems and signatures schemes. Advances in cryptology, Proceedings of CRYPTO '84, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, N∘ 196, pp. 47–53, Springer-Verlag, 1985.Google Scholar
- [SRA81]A. Shamir, R. Rivest and L. Adleman. Mental Poker. The Mathematical Gardner, edited by D. A. Klarner, Wadsworth International, 1981.Google Scholar