Two new upper bounds for codes of distance 3
Part of the Lecture Notes in Computer Science book series (LNCS, volume 781)
Bounds for Codes
We prove that the (10,40,4) code found by Best is unique. We then employ this fact to show that A(10,3)= A(11,4)≤78 and A(11,3)=A(12,4)≤156.
KeywordsWeight Distribution Binary Code Steiner Triple System Golay Code Krawtchouk Polynomial
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.R. Best, “Binary codes with a minimum distance of four,” IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. IT-26, pp. 738–742, 1980.Google Scholar
- 2.M.R. Best, A.E. Brouwer, F.J. MacWilliams, A.M. Odlyzko, and N.J.A. Sloane, “Bounds for binary codes of length less than 25,” IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. IT-24, pp. 81–93, 1978.Google Scholar
- 3.J.-M. Goethals, “The extended Nadler code is unique,” IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. IT-23, pp. 132–135, 1977.Google Scholar
- 4.J.H. Conway and N.J.A. Sloane, Sphere Packings, Lattices and Groups, New York: Springer-Veralg, 1988.Google Scholar
- 5.J.H. Conway and N.J.A. Sloane, “Quaternary constructions for the binary codes of Julin, Best, and others,” preprint.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Delsarte and J.-M. Goethals, “Unrestricted codes with the Golay parameters are unique,” Discr. Math., vol. 12, pp. 211–224, 1975.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Julin, “Two improved block codes,” JEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. IT-11, p. 459, 1965.Google Scholar
- 8.D.E. Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming: Sorting and Searching, Reading: Addison-Wesley, 1973.Google Scholar
- 9.S. Litsyn and A. Vardy, “The uniqueness of the Best code,” submitted to JEEE Trans. Inform. Theory.Google Scholar
- 10.F.J. MacWilliams and N.J.A. Sloane, The Theory of Error-Correcting Codes, New York: North-Holland, 1977.Google Scholar
- 11.V. Pless, “On the uniqueness of the Golay codes,” J. Comb. Theory, vol. 5, pp. 215–228, 1968.Google Scholar
- 12.S. Snover, “The uniqueness of the Nordstrom-Robinson and the Golay binary codes,” Ph.D. Thesis, Michigan State University, 1973.Google Scholar
- 13.N. Wax, “On upper bounds for error-detecting and error-correcting codes of finite length,” IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. IT-5, pp. 168–174, 1959.Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 1994