User interface management system embedded in a multimedia document editor framework
This paper describes Duma: a Data-based User interface management system for Multimedia Application, which is embedded in a multimedia document editor framework (MMDEF). MMDEF is the core of a multimedia document editor, which can adapt to externally defined media types and operations, and enables the user to work on documents composed of multimedia objects, including objects of newly defined types, through a coherent user interface. Duma introduces an extensible data model called interactor that abstracts the user interaction between application semantics and user interface components. Also, Duma's data-based UIMS architecture embodies an interactive UI design environment in which interfaces to the interactor model are given.
KeywordsChoice Function Interactor Type Media Object Multimedia Document Defense Advance Research Project Agency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gideon Avrahami, Kenneth P. Brooks, and Marc H. Brown. A two-view approach to constructing user interfaces. Computer Graphics, 23(3):137–146, July 1989.Google Scholar
- 2.Eric A. Bier. EmbeddedButtons: Documents as user interfaces. In proceedings of the ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, pages 45–53, November 1991.Google Scholar
- 3.Donald D. Chamberlin, Helmut F. Hasselmeier, Allen W. Luniewski, Dieter P. Paris, Bradford W. Wade, and Mitch L. Zolliker. Quill: An extensible system for editing documents of mixed type. In Proc. of the 21st Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, pages 317–326, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, Jan 5–8 1988.Google Scholar
- 4.Susan L. Graham, Michael A. Harrison, and Ethan V. Munson. The Proteus presentation system. In ACM SIGSOFT symposium on software development environments, pages 130–138, Tyson's Corner, VA, 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.Michael A. Harrison and Thomas A. Phelps. The next best thing in file browsers. In Proceedings of the TCL/Tk Workshop, pages 110–112, Berkeley, CA, June 1993. Computer Science Division, University of California at Berkeley.Google Scholar
- 6.Jeff Johnson. Selectors: Going beyond user-interface widgets. In proceedings of CHI '92 Conference: Human Factors in Computing Systems, pages 273–279, NY, May 1992.Google Scholar
- 7.Takashi Ohtsu. Duma: a data-based user interface management system for multimedia application. Master's thesis, Computer Science Division, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, October 1992.Google Scholar
- 8.John K. Ousterhout. An X11 toolkit based on the tcl language. In USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, pages 105–115, 1991.Google Scholar
- 9.John L. Pasalis. Realize: An interactive graphical data structure presentation and rendering system. Master's thesis, Computer Science Division, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, 1992.Google Scholar
- 10.Gunther E. Pfaff, editor. User Interface Management Systems. Spring-Verlag, Berlin, 1985.Google Scholar
- 11.Andre Weinand, Erich Gamma, and Rudolf Marty. ET++-an object-oriented application framework in C++. In OOPSLA 1988 Proceedings, pages 46–57, September 1988.Google Scholar
- 12.Charles Wiecha, William Bennett, Stephen Boies, John Gould, and Sharon Greene. ITS: A tool for rapidly developing interactive applications. ACM Transactions on Information Systems, 8(3):204–236, July 1990.Google Scholar